July 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I was thinking of picking up a Mac Book as second computer, I have a MBP 1.86gh core duo is the dual core duo that mush faster than core dou or should I just wait until Santa Rosa makes it to the Mac Book. Mostly I use CS3 and Lightroom for for digital photo work?
Thank The Cheese
July 7th, 2007, 01:07 AM
my understanding is that the Core 2 Duo was surprisingly good. Many experts were suggesting there would not be much of a jump, but it turned out it was quite noticable, at least in benchmark tests -- some tests 15% faster.
Having said that, many tests were 8%, some exactly the same. And in real world tests (not benchmark tests), there is little-to-no noticeable difference.
here are some graphs (http://www.barefeats.com/rosa02.html) that show the difference in speed between MacBook Pros with core2duo and santa rosa core2duo. Yes, the newer chips are faster, but we're talking seconds here, and I think RAM is the biggest issue with Photoshop and similar applications, not processor.
Mac Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook) recommends buying as the MacBooks were updated fairly recently.
I guess the bottom line is if you're not in a rush, and you want to feel secure about your purchase, then wait, but if you do need it, then buy. Even if they update it tomrorow, I honestly don't thinkt here will be a noticable difference.
The main issue is Leopard. If you buy now, you will have to buy Leopard and/or iLife separately (assuming you want to upgrade), but if you wait until October, they will come free, saving you ~$200 or so.