View Full Version : Not able to open pictures
December 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
This is my first time posting, I have had my mac osx version 10.4.1. I have had this computer for 5 years and have never had a problem opening pictures in either photoshop or photoshop elements. I think it is the computer and not the photo editing programs as I cannot open pictures in either one. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
December 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Please describe the problem in much greater detail.
What, precisely, do you mean by "I cannot open pictures in either one?" Is the "Open" command in the "File" menu grayed out? Can you select a picture to open, but it simply does not open? Do you get any error messages?
Try describing the process in a step-by-step way, for example:
1) I open PhotoShop
2) I select "File > Open"
3) I browse to the picture file, which is a JPEG image
4) I click "Open"
5) I receive an error message that states, "This file is not a valid JPEG file."
December 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks for replying to my post, sorry I was so vague. OK, step by step:
1) I launch photoshop or pse
2) I go to "File-Open"
3) I go to a folder on my computer, external hard drive or Bridge
4) I select the photo I would like to open (usually a jpeg, but I cannot open my RAW files either)
5) Photoshop or PSE does not respond (I get the swirly rainbow ball)
6) I have to do a 'force quit' in order to close my photo editing program
December 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
It could simply be a problem with Photoshop's or Photoshop Element's preference file.
Navigate to ~/Library/Preferences (that's the Library folder located in your home folder), and look for two preference files that are named similar to:
...and drag them to your Desktop (be sure that neither Photoshop nor PS Elements is running when you do so). Open Photoshop and/or Elements and see if you can open pictures now.
Also, do you have any Finder enhancement programs like Default Folder X installed?