Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ScottW is offline Founder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Alternative Ideas for unused phone wall plates

Okay, we are a hop skip & jump away from buying a old house, 103 years old for that matter. It will be our first house. Assuming we can come to an agreement on the original floor support (bring it up to inspection levels) then the house will be ours.

The house has TONS of phone wall covers. In fact, every room in the house has a phone outlet, including the laundry room which doesn't fit much more than the washer/dryer units. Even it has a wall phone plate.

I know of at least 4 of these in the house, some place lowed, some placed unusually high. I am not sure exactly what to do with these. We have one corded phone in the house that feeds the remote handsets. That's it. No wall mount telephones.

Other than placing a telephone on them, what ideas, suggestions do you have for these, something you have seen done, unique, etc that could be done besides just covering them up with a flat face panel or just filling the hole and painting over it.

Seems to me once I saw something that could hang on those phone wall plate knobbies, but not sure.

Scott

Giaguara is offline Chmod 760
    Thanks
    do you have or can you make some photos of these, scott? i think those could make it easier to make suggestions... upload some pictures somewhere, and if you don't want all in public, pm me the location...

i should do architecture, and ... my granmother used to work in a phone switch in the 1930s. that made the home of my father to be interesting (if only they had left any of those phone center equipment there!!) .. i'd try to leave some of the atmosphere in the rooms, pleaaase if you can, take some pictures and show (either in public or PM to some more of them).. i'm sure i'll be able to suggest something once i SEE something more. it sounds interesting though, and i hope yoyu'll be able to get that place!
    Mac Mini Server | MacBook Pro | iPhone | Other Macs + a bunch of iPods, Newtons and other toys
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~ Samuel Clemens | G's corner | Photos | Game Center, Goodreads etc (just ask)

ScottW is offline Founder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    These are nothing special, just modern day wall phone plates... the kind you stick a wall-mount phone on.

The house is a rehab and doesn't have any of the original, except for the obvious stone foundation and when you get down in to the celler/crawl space.

Giaguara is offline Chmod 760
    Thanks
    still, if you can snap a couple of shots of some of the rooms showing the plates, it will be easier to see what will look good or better in place of those plates.
    Mac Mini Server | MacBook Pro | iPhone | Other Macs + a bunch of iPods, Newtons and other toys
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~ Samuel Clemens | G's corner | Photos | Game Center, Goodreads etc (just ask)

Darkshadow is offline wandering shadow
    Thanks
    What kind of thing did you have in mind, Scott? Just something decorative, or something that would make them useful in some way?
    I am but a lonely shadow,
    Doomed forever to roam and wander.
    But if you allow me to pause before I must go,
    I'll spin you tales of mystery and wonder.

chemistry_geek is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Place pictures or calendars over them. If they can hold a phone on the wall, they can hold a picture frame. I've done this a couple of times, works pretty well.
    Mac Mini
    2.0 GHz Intel Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM, LaCie BigDisk Extreme 500 GB HD, External Pioneer A109 DVD superdrive, External LiteOnLiter CD burner, iSight video camera, 5th generation 60 GB video iPod, 4th generation 40 GB iPod, 1st Generation iPod Touch, Philips 32" HDTV with HDMI input, KDS Radius 19" LCD Display, Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Jack Hammer is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    toss em
    -jt

binaryDigit is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Replace them with something translucent and turn them into night lights. Maybe even stick motion sensors into them so they'll automagically turn on when someone enters the room (this is all assuming that they're attached to wiring boxes).

Of course you could do the obvious and paint the plates or put some type of image on them (chinese characters perhaps, something related to the function of the room?).

A more involved project would involve buying a bunch of old palm pilots and taking them out of their cases and installing them in place of the plates. You could then program them to do fun stuff. You could even hack the dock connector to use the phone wiring to have them communicate and do some coordinated stuff, now that'd be cool.

I just updated all of ours to handle cat5 and RG6 (wired networks rule, wireless phones rule).
    Last edited by binaryDigit; May 26th, 2003 at 01:06 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast