Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    icemanjc is offline I'm cool, I have a mac.
    Thanks
    So what about the people who are messy and clean?

TommyWillB is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbloke View Post
    Don't worry, rhisiart. There's an article in the New York Times to back you up!

(You need to register, for free, to view the article online.)
    Here here!!!

Before Apple introduced the Dock "Fan" option in 10.5, the prototyped something called "piles".

In my opinion, this is a great extension of how I "organize" my physical desk. People rarely see my desk as organized, because they don't understand the deep complexity of the piles of papers and the meaning of their spacial proximity to each other.

People call me a slob, but everything is right where I want it and I know exactly where everything is.

Also, I think there is a very interesting difference in how old-time Mac users use their desktops vs. Windows users. Mac users place icons in very specific places on their desktop, and they know that it'll never move. The placement of that icon then becomes just as important as the icon or filename.

This is not the case for for Windows users (especially Win 3.1 and Win 95 users), because the icons they place were "snapped" into an automatic grid by default. They never had fine control of icon placement until Windows 98. Therefore, these users never got the opportunity to use their own placement nor learn the value of it.

To this day, Windows users tend to keep their desktops set to Auto-arrange and see anything otherwise as "un-tidy". I've also see this same behavior for PC-to-Mac switchers.
    TommyWillB
    27" iMac Intel Core i5
    TommyWillB.com hosted on Mac OS X 10.6.x / Apache 2.2.x / PHP 5.x

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123