September 15th, 2004, 02:04 PM #1
Designing for Section 508: Users with disabilities
I'm in the process of developing a web site with the goal of conforming to section 508 standards -- for users with disabilities.
I'd like to download and install some of the user agents (i.e. special web browsers) that most utilize these standards, but I can't seem to find any.
What's out there that can either emulate these devices or what -- specifically -- are the devices themselves?
September 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM #2
the only specialized browser i know about is lynx, which is a text only browser.
September 15th, 2004, 04:11 PM #3
If you have a machine running Windows... you can try IBM's screen reader.
They have a 30 day trial download.
What I usually do is turn off the style sheet(s) so the page is text only (good for older browsers with bad or no CSS support and agents that don't use style sheets at all.)
September 15th, 2004, 04:30 PM #4
1) I'm already working on installing lynx (happens to be the topic of another one of my posts)
2) I'll definitely install the trial IBM screen reader (I do have a PC).
3) How do I turn off style sheets in Safari? (of course I could simply take the style sheet link out of my code, but the former would be simpler.) I tried creating an empty style sheet and setting prefs to use it, but it seems as though instead of replacing the style sheet, it simply overrides it, which is what I expected, since CSS is MEANT to do that.
September 15th, 2004, 07:54 PM #5
There isn't much if anything that I'm aware of on the Mac side. JAWS and most other similar apps are usually Windoze only. Lynx is a nice quick way to look at something, but it's not going to be very helpful in ensuring 508 compliance. Opera 7.5 does have some nice features in it, might be worth downloading the free version and checkin it out.
Your best bet is to simply read up on the subject and figure out what should and shouldn't happen to ensure compliance with the guidelines. Here's some links which might be of help to you.
Originally Posted by larry98765
| My Homepage | Restore the Pledge |
• MacBook Pro i7 2.66GHz 15" HD matte, 4GB, 500GB 7200RPM, OS X 10.6
• MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33GHz 15" matte, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 500GB 7200RPM, DL Superdrive, OS X 10.6
• Apple 23" Cinema HD Display, Apple Slim-Alum Keyboard, Apple BT Alum Keyboard, Magic Mouse
• iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, iPhone 8GB, iPod Nano 16GB, iPod Photo 30GB, Nikon D50, Nikon L6, Epson 3490, Epson R1800, OkiData C5500N
September 16th, 2004, 11:15 AM #6