Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BlingBling 3k12 is offline Somewhere... dunno though
    Thanks

Advantages & Disadvantages of Partitioning

I am new to partitioning (both Windows and Mac platforms) and from what I've heard, partitioning a Hard Drive seems to be the way to go...

I will have a 60 GB Hard Drive in my new iMac

What will be on there? Music (about 3 gigs), Video (from my DV camcorder), and until I figure out how to network properly, that will probably be about it.

I figured that keeping it all without partitioning would be good... but from what I hear, partitioning speeds up the system.

Now, I don't want to totally f*ck it up the minute I get this (oh you have no idea how pissed my dad would get)... so would it all work fine without partitioning?

Thanks guys!
    Casey (Bling)

.dev.lqd is offline Angry Member
    Thanks
    I always give myself at least two partitions...

one for the operating system and programs and my desktop (where I keep tons of stuff)

The other ends up being a dumping ground

eventually it's cleaned out... but for the most part it's just storage space.

The benefit is that I can completely blow away my OS install without touching the other files. In my current setup I have my pictures folder aliased there, my music folder, fonts, and a few other things. After that it's just TONS of files.

-stephen

dricci is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I suggest leaving the partitions as is until you get used to Mac OS X. Then possibly in a few months you could start worrying about setting up partitions.

Biff is offline Thinking Different
    Where the Grass is Green and the skies are Blue
    Thanks
    I always partition my drive, one for Mac OS 9, one for Mac OS 10, and one as a storage dumpster. If YOU have more than one OS on the computer you should install each OS on a different partition so you can switch between the two at startup with the option key
    Last edited by Biff; April 14th, 2002 at 11:49 AM.
    iMac G4 700 MHz LCD, 384 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, CD-RW, Mac OS X 10.2/9.2.2

nkuvu is offline Gone
    Thanks
    I always partition my drive, one for Mac OS 9, one for Mac OS 10, and one as a storage dumpster. If [emphasis added] I had more than one OS on the computer I would definately partition since you could select which one to boot with using the option key.
    Uh, didn't you just say that you have more than one OS?

Biff is offline Thinking Different
    Where the Grass is Green and the skies are Blue
    Thanks
    I did say I have more than one OS and I do have separate partitions for each. I suggested that IF you had more than one OS then you should have a separate partition for each.
    iMac G4 700 MHz LCD, 384 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, CD-RW, Mac OS X 10.2/9.2.2

Koelling is offline I Think Different
    Thanks
    A lot of pros suggest moving your swap file to a seperate hard disk if you have two. This is a highly advanced manuver and although it apparently gets easier with a utility called Swap Cop, I would be afraid to try it with something so core to the system. This would speed your processing.

Please note that the articles suggest this for seperate hard drives, not partitions because you are still reading through the same dirve bus.

Partitions can still be useful so you don't get fragmentation on your OS. Then you have the probelm of deciding what goes with your OS partition. Applications and the Users directory and libraries are happier in the original path. Mp3's and video and your download folder are good things to keep away from your OS.

I personally have two partitions because (I don't know if this is true) I've been told that on older machines like mine, OS X must reside on it's own 8 gig partition. (anyone know if that is true? I'd like to know). I have 8 of 30gigs for system, Documents, Library, Desktop and aliai to movies, music, public which point to my other partition with my OS 9 system.

In your situation, one parition will be great, I don't even think you will notice any speed increase by partitioning and it's just a lot more work and headache than it's worth. If I find out I don't need two partitions I will go back to one.
    1 ghz pb w/ 768M RAM, 10.3.latest (usually). Yeah life is good.

rdhazrd is offline Offical Mac nut
    Thanks
    A couple of things, first Koelling, OS X must reside on the first 8 gigs of the drive, it doesn't need an 8 gig partition for itself. Second, Biff, holding the option key down at startup will not allow you to chose which partition, but which device, i.e. CD or Hardrive. I have tried running OS 9 and X with several different variations of partitions. X had one 9 had one, and everything else was on one. X and 9 on one and the rest on the other. X on one 9 on one, apps on one, documents (mp3, video .doc) on one. All I can see is that if you have the OS on a partition by itself, the main benefit is that if it gets messed up you can reformat that partition and not loose your docs and such. Now I stick with one partition (yeah I know there are more than one, but only one that the os will show by default). Back when OS 9 was it I ran with 2 one for OS, one for everthing else. In X I don't like to do that because a lot of installers will install to the apps folder and I don't like using alaises.
    Anyway, that's just my thoughts.
    -B&W 550Mhz G4 512MB 10.3.2

-Beige G3 300 Desktop 512MB 10.2.8

-iBook 466 320MB 10.2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast