Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amie is offline Mac Convert for Life
    Thanks

Can You Use a Debit Card to Pay for iTunes?

I'm thinking about signing up for an iTunes account so that I can purchase songs from the iTunes music store. I noticed in the billing section of iTunes it says that you will receive an invoice/billing statement along with your credit card bill and are responsible for sending in the payments, blah, blah, blah... But what if I don't have a credit card, per se? It's actually a debit/quick check card but can be used as either a credit card where you sign your signature (but I never get monthly bills, it just comes right out of my checking account) or as a debit card (swipe and put pin number in).

I've used my debit card for other online purchases such as monthly payments for memberships, etc., and the cost just comes right out of my checking account each month. Can I use my debit card for iTunes as well? How does that work? Instead of sending me a credit card bill, will they just take the money directly out of my account every month based on how many songs I've purchased that month?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this!
    RIP iBook G4. You were the best computer for 8 years and you never failed at ANYTHING. I am the proud new owner of a MacBook Air. Do NOT be fooled by its sleek, super lightweight design. It's a POWERFULLY AWESOME lil' machine.

ElDiabloConCaca is offline U.S.D.A. Prime
    Thanks
    I use mine this exact way -- it's a debit/check card, but carries the VISA logo, and I use it as the credit card required by the iTunes Music Store.

Works fine.
    2009 Mac mini 2.0GHz 2010 MacBook Air 11" 2010 MacBook Pro 13" LED 24" Cinema Display
    PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 Yikes! iPad 2 32GB 2 x iPhone 4 16GB iPod Touch 8GB iPod nano 1GB iPod shuffle 1GB AirPort Extreme dual-band AppleTV
    http://www.jeffhoppe.com

kainjow is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    If you can use it at a store as a credit card, then yes. My bank lets me do this, so I use it everywhere.

Amie is offline Mac Convert for Life
    Thanks
    Great, thanks to both of you! Yes, mine is a Visa as well. So, I'm guessing iTunes won't bill me a monthly statement (as claimed in the billing information section) because it's not actually a credit card (no monthly payments, interest rates, etc.). They will just take the money from my account once a month for all the songs that I've purchased in that month, correct?

By the way, I love your little hamster photo. Very cute! Is that your pet?
    RIP iBook G4. You were the best computer for 8 years and you never failed at ANYTHING. I am the proud new owner of a MacBook Air. Do NOT be fooled by its sleek, super lightweight design. It's a POWERFULLY AWESOME lil' machine.

leydog is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    iTunes should be no problem, but be careful about using your debit card for Internet purchases -- it doesn't have the guarantees that a real credit card has -- no disputing, no payment holdbacks in event of non-delivery or double billing, etc.

sirstaunch is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Not all banks have the debit VISA (almost typed Vista) Cards. If you're in Australia, St George do, but we ain't got the music store yet And oh, Bendigo Bank have Prepaid Mastercards, they do a credit check on you :O

There are ways of getting prepaid MasterCards in some European Countrys, but I don't know how you could prepay from another Nation, seems silly aye, pay by debit Visa?

I could suggest though, if you know someone with some sort of creditcard, is to pay them to purchase you a gift voucher on iTunes so you could buy from the store.

And to answer the question (well if you don't have the money in your account when you purchase a song, you won't get the song) the debit Visa will work like a creditcard.

Good Luck
    Last edited by sirstaunch; July 29th, 2005 at 11:47 AM.
    PowerPC5200 48mb 80mhz OS8.6
    PowerPC7500 192mb 180mhz OS9.2.2
    eMac 1.42ghz (now) 1GIG Ram (just added extra 512mb 30/8/07) OSX10.4.10
    It Keeps Getting Better!!!

ElDiabloConCaca is offline U.S.D.A. Prime
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amie
    Great, thanks to both of you! Yes, mine is a Visa as well. So, I'm guessing iTunes won't bill me a monthly statement (as claimed in the billing information section) because it's not actually a credit card (no monthly payments, interest rates, etc.). They will just take the money from my account once a month for all the songs that I've purchased in that month, correct?
    Actually, on mine, I'm charged within a day or two of purchasing the song, so if I purchase 4 different songs on different days each month, I am charged four different times during that month.

Since mine's a debit card that also functions as a credit card, the fund are immediately taken out of my checking account when the purchase is processed -- not once at the end of the month.
    2009 Mac mini 2.0GHz 2010 MacBook Air 11" 2010 MacBook Pro 13" LED 24" Cinema Display
    PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 Yikes! iPad 2 32GB 2 x iPhone 4 16GB iPod Touch 8GB iPod nano 1GB iPod shuffle 1GB AirPort Extreme dual-band AppleTV
    http://www.jeffhoppe.com

kainjow is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amie

By the way, I love your little hamster photo. Very cute! Is that your pet?
    ElDiabloConCaca is right. When you have a debit card, it's taken out of your bank account *immediately*. It doesn't matter who is taking the money out (iTunes, Apple Store, Gap, etc), it's all the same.

Heh, that hamster pic is just some random one I found online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast