Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    wnowak1 is offline Registered User
    Thanks

unable to empty trash

I have a bit of a problem when its time to take the trash out. When I select empty trash, nothing happens. I do not get any warnings, i.e file in use, permission error, etc. Simply nothing happens. No file is deleted.

I am running a clean install of Tiger 10.4.3. The user account under which I work has admin rights. The permissions on the .Trash directory are:

drwx------ 10 me me 340 Nov 11 02:25 .Trash

I also checked to see if any files in the trash bin are locked, and they aren't.

The only way I can empty this can is if I manually delete the files through the command line.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    Open Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility and "Repair Permissions". You also have to be sure that you are not throwing away an OS X system essential file! OS X will refuse to delete those files, to protect you. Lastly, try to use the Finder's "Secure Empty Trash", this may help will stubborn non-esstential files.
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

wnowak1 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Satcomer
    Open Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility and "Repair Permissions". You also have to be sure that you are not throwing away an OS X system essential file! OS X will refuse to delete those files, to protect you. Lastly, try to use the Finder's "Secure Empty Trash", this may help will stubborn non-esstential files.

I tried running the repair permissions utility, but no luck. I'll manually remove the .Trash(es) directory and see if that fixes the problem. The secure empty trash takes a really long time to empty.

I'll post my results ...

Veljo is offline Mac Enthusiast
    Thanks
    You could also use a program like Cocktail which has a Force Empty Trash option.
    15" MacBook Pro: 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo / 2GB RAM / 120GB / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.5 9A581 Leopard