Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    Mikuro is offline Crotchety UI Nitpicker
    Thanks

Unhappy Using VLC to convert files

VLC apparently has some very powerful conversion features. Has anyone actually managed to get them to work?

I've tried a million different ways, and nothing works. I've tried it with the wizard, I've tried from the Open dialog, and I've tried from the command line. And with each way I've tried it with various files of various formats with various settings. But nothing works at all. All I get is a file wrapper with 100 bytes or so of header data for the file format there's no actual media data in it.

Is this feature just dead on OS X, or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Mac mini 1.25GHz G4, 1GB RAM OS 10.5.8
    MacBook Pro 2.26GHz C2D, 8GB RAM OS 10.6.8

Useful programs: Privoxy, Butler, ffmpegX, VLC, Perian, Tofu, Wcalc

MisterMe is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Seeing as how VLC's proper name is VLC media player, has no Save command, no Save As... command, and no Export... command, it seems unlikely that you can access its "powerful conversion features."

Thanks
    Err....it does have an export command. That's what I'm talking about. File > Streaming/Exporting Wizard. It also has an "advanced output" option in its Open dialog. As I mentioned, there are three ways of accessing its conversion features, all with lots of documentation. See http://www.videolan.org/doc/streamin...o/en/ch04.html (naturally this has not helped me at all).

I must say I'm confused by your reply. Do you think I'm making this up? Or do you believe that these interfaces were put in by the VideoLan guys as a joke?

Edit: I've found some examples online of Mac users using its conversion features. See http://www.windley.com/archives/2005...lc_to_cr.shtml. But I can't get their examples to work. Hmm. Any advice?

ElDiabloConCaca is offline U.S.D.A. Prime
    Thanks
    Looks like they're doing it all command-line style... have you tried that?
    2009 Mac mini 2.0GHz 2010 MacBook Air 11" 2010 MacBook Pro 13" LED 24" Cinema Display
    PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 Yikes! iPad 2 32GB 2 x iPhone 4 16GB iPod Touch 8GB iPod nano 1GB iPod shuffle 1GB AirPort Extreme dual-band AppleTV
    http://www.jeffhoppe.com

Thanks
    Yeah, I tried the command line, about a hundred different ways (not an exaggeration). The only thing I've gotten to work is the plain stream dump, with no conversion or remuxing, but that's not really useful (in the case of local files it's just a roundabout way of duplicating it).

I get the exact same results from the command line, the wizard, and the "advanced output". I'm at a total loss.

Thanks
    I feel a little silly. I solved the problem. Turned out I just had to delete my VLC prefs. I don't know why my prefs files killed the exporter, but apparently they did. I guess that's why they include the "Delete_Preferences" script with the application...

I haven't done extensive tests, but I managed to convert an mpeg to an mp4 with no trouble. Cool.