Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    rdarken is offline Registered User
    Thanks

MacBook Power Supply Problem

I thought I would post this just in case anyone else is seeing the same problem. I have my MacBook in the shop now to have this fully diagnosed but it seems that I might have a bad power supply. It's intermittent but it snaps off randomly after being on for a while. This happens with either battery or AC power. The problem has appeared over time. I had my MacBook for at least two weeks before I saw this happen.

I'll report back when I get a diagnosis but if you see similar behavior, it would be good to know if this is an isolated issue or not.

ElDiabloConCaca is offline U.S.D.A. Prime
    Thanks
    "Snaps off?" You mean like the cord snaps off of the machine, or the power is turned off?
    2009 Mac mini 2.0GHz 2010 MacBook Air 11" 2010 MacBook Pro 13" LED 24" Cinema Display
    PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 Yikes! iPad 2 32GB 2 x iPhone 4 16GB iPod Touch 8GB iPod nano 1GB iPod shuffle 1GB AirPort Extreme dual-band AppleTV
    http://www.jeffhoppe.com

Thanks
    The power turns off -- and not gracefully.

popester is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    have been running my macbook for over a month now , not had any problems yet . guess you've had a power supply problem . would like to hear the outcome of the diagnosis.

Thanks
    Just got it back Friday. Apple could not replicate the problem. I suspect what happened was it overheated and shutdown as a safety mechanism. I've had it up for a day and a half now with no problems, but at my home. I first saw the problem at my office. I'm wondering if it might not be ventilating properly there but is ok here. Still, it might mean that x86 Macs are susceptible to overheating which is good to know!

cmactrix is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    i hope this is an isolated incident... but yer i think its a given that the MBP could quite easily overheat....

jgrossho is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I have had my mac book pro for a month have not used it much but have experienced no problems and noproblems with my software. It runs hot which was true of my PB G4 but I rather expected they would fix that problem in this new rigs but no such luck. How do you all handle the hot box problem? I try to unplug it when it gets charged so that it wont overheat but its a pain.

Do any of those thplastic or metal things they sit on work?

jean grossholtz
    jean grossholtz

omnix is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rdarken
    I thought I would post this just in case anyone else is seeing the same problem. I have my MacBook in the shop now to have this fully diagnosed but it seems that I might have a bad power supply. It's intermittent but it snaps off randomly after being on for a while. This happens with either battery or AC power. The problem has appeared over time. I had my MacBook for at least two weeks before I saw this happen.

I'll report back when I get a diagnosis but if you see similar behavior, it would be good to know if this is an isolated issue or not.

I've had this exact problem with a new MacBook (white, SuperDrive/2.0GHz model). I've had it for three weeks now; a few days ago it randomly and precipitously powered off on me. I was surfing the web one moment, and then the power just completely turned off. No shutdown sequence, no warning, no nothing. I wasn't working on anything important at the time and thought it was perhaps an isolated incident -- but it happened again today, twice, and I've lost my patience and confidence with this machine. Gunna call Apple and try to get it repaired/replaced. Anyone have any further comments/experiences with this?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast