Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Patron is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Garageband help - balance

My band just started to record some songs using garageband, and I'm having difficulty using the balance. For some reason, the bass and guitar are only playing through the left side of the headphones/speaker system, even though I have the balance set right at the middle.

But for some reason, for the life of me, I can't figure out why it is only coming out of the left. If I turn the balance to the right, it just puts less in the left(as it should), but still nothing in the right.

I've checked under System Preferences - Sound, and the output slider is right in the middle.

www.myspace.com/neonlightsca

That is my band, the recording we did was "Song 2", when you listen to it, it should be fully balanced, but it's all coming from the left side, except for the drums, which were recorded using a microphone.

Any help would be lovely.

Thanks
    Does no body have any idea?

billbaloney is offline House pianist
    Thanks
    What did you use for an audio interface when you were recording bass and guitar? What did you use when you recorded the drums?
    Matt (billbaloney)
    1.67GHz "October 2005" G4 Aluminum 1.5 GB RAM, OS 10.5.2
    Lots of other things around
    Helen Marie
    Holford Industries

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billbaloney View Post
    What did you use for an audio interface when you were recording bass and guitar? What did you use when you recorded the drums?
    I used the built in mic to record the drums, and they get picked up surprisingly well. I used a 1/4" to 1/8" jack to record the guitars

http://www.techexcess.net/images/pro...ck-adapter.jpg
    That one.

Is there anyway the problem is the jack I'm using?

Thanks
    The problem isn't with the jack you're using, it's with the 1/4" instrument cable that goes into the jack from your guitar / amp. That's a mono cable, which means it only contacts the left channel of the stereo input jack. If Garageband expected to hear a mono track input, you'd be in business; but because it expects to hear stereo, it records stereo -- sound in the left channel, silence in the right.
    Matt (billbaloney)
    Helen Marie
    Holford Industries

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billbaloney View Post
    The problem isn't with the jack you're using, it's with the 1/4" instrument cable that goes into the jack from your guitar / amp. That's a mono cable, which means it only contacts the left channel of the stereo input jack. If Garageband expected to hear a mono track input, you'd be in business; but because it expects to hear stereo, it records stereo -- sound in the left channel, silence in the right.
    Thanks a lot, I'm just using a regular guitar patch cord. What do you suggest I use?

Thanks
    The best bet is to invest in an inexpensive USB audio interface, making sure first that it's Garageband-compatible (most interfaces should be).
    Matt (billbaloney)
    Helen Marie
    Holford Industries

Thanks
    Alright, thanks so much, but I found how to fix it without having to buy a new jack/cord. I just changed the imput from stereo to mono. Thanks Billbaloney! Couldn't have done it without you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast