January 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM #1
Disabling Spotlight keyboard shortcuts
I ahve to do every time I start up since I installed the latest Security Update. I repaired permissions and nothing was corrected.
I am disabling the features through System Preferences, but the continue to default back to on. Is there somewhere else I should disable something? Very annoying considering I hate Spotlight. Thanks.
January 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM #2
1) Using the mdutil command-line utility in Terminal, turn off indexing for each of your drives. Example:
• $ sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_1
• $ sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_2
2) Then use mdutil to remove the indexes from each drive
• $ sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_1
• $ sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_2
3) Physically remove the .Spotlight directories from the root of each drive.
• $ cd /
• $ sudo rm -fr .Spotlight-V100
(do the same for your second or third drive)
Or you can use Spotless
January 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM #3
Thanks Bob. I'll check that out when i get some free time.