Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    dwhatley is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Question how do i reboot ibook g4 with out disc

hi i just brought an ibook g4 and the owner did not give me anything. i have been trying for weeks to unlock the computer. the password he gave does not work and he did not give me a disc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dwhatley For This Useful Post:

09mitch09 (March 4th, 2009)

CharlieJ is offline R.I.P bobw
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhatley View Post
    hi i just brought an ibook g4 and the owner did not give me anything. i have been trying for weeks to unlock the computer. the password he gave does not work and he did not give me a disc.
    Hello,
    This is the wrong topic. But it is your first post.
    Rebooting your iBook... Im not sure what your mean. I think you mean re-install the Operating system.
    Now you are stuck. Try contacting the seller regarding your problem. I DVD install disk is required for your problem, unfortunatly. This can be found on ebay and obiously apple's site. eBay is your cheaper option. This is a bit of a bummer I know how you feel. Maybe sticking linux on the machine for now could get it up and running.

I hope this helps.
    Good luck with your mac.
    Charlie

EDIT: try www.ubuntu.com for (in my opion) the easiest version of linux ever... plus its a lot like the Mac OS. You will need to download it on to another computer and burn to a DVD.
    MacPro 2.8GHz 8-Core 6GB DDR3 1333MHz MacBook 2.1GHz 4GB ram 500GB HD Snow Leopard/Lion/Ubuntu iMac 3.06Ghz c2d 4GB 1066GHz iPhone 3Gs 16GB White (in a black case) (Custom 4.2.1) iPhone 4 16GB (Custom 4.2.1) iPad 1g 16GB Wifi (4.2.1 Jailbroken)
    tilted.me.uk
    R.I.P Bobw.

nixgeek is offline Mac of the SubGenius! :-)
    Thanks
    You need to purchase a retail copy of Mac OS X for your iBook.

http://www.applerescue.com

When you buy used computers from sellers, ALWAYS check to make sure that they include the discs and documentation. Otherwise, if something goes wrong you're left with nothing to restore from.
    Apple iMac G5 17" (2 GHz G5) - Mac OS X 10.5.8/Ubuntu 10.04
    Asus Eee PC 901 (1.6 GHz Atom N270) - Fedora 13
    Apple Macintosh Quadra 650 (33 MHz MC68040) - Mac OS 8.1
    "JHVH-1" (2 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2400+) - Slackware 13.1

nixgeek is offline Mac of the SubGenius! :-)
    Thanks
    One thing about Ubuntu. Remember that the PowerPC version of Ubuntu has been moved to unofficial status, so you won't find it on the main page anymore. Check the following page for unofficial ports:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com

If you DO decide to use Ubuntu for your iBook, I suggest using the Alternate Installation disc. Still, understand that the installation isn't as elegant as the one for Mac OS X, plus you'll be missing certain apps like Adobe Flash so your web experience might be a little limited if you access pages that use Flash heavily. While there is an open source implementation of the Flash player and plugin, it's still quite new and might not support everything.
    Apple iMac G5 17" (2 GHz G5) - Mac OS X 10.5.8/Ubuntu 10.04
    Asus Eee PC 901 (1.6 GHz Atom N270) - Fedora 13
    Apple Macintosh Quadra 650 (33 MHz MC68040) - Mac OS 8.1
    "JHVH-1" (2 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2400+) - Slackware 13.1

fryke is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The iBook originally came with a license (and a disk) for the OS X installation. That license can *NOT* be removed from the iBook when reselling it, i.e. you can't sell the OS disk (and license) to one person and the iBook to another. If you go to Apple, they should be able to give you a copy of the original OS that came with the iBook. I'd try that first. Take the iBook and the information regarding the original OS version (look what www.apple-history.com has to say about your particular iBook) to an Apple Store or another store selling Macs. Worst case *I* would accept: They reinstall the original OS for you without giving you the original disk (since they can't know whether you sold that disk separately etc.). But I wouldn't actually buy what already belongs to that iBook again.

Then, when Apple releases Leopard, you can buy the OS - which is _always_ both an original system AND the upgrade version, because you can't actually buy a Mac without OS from Apple - like any other Mac user who buys his/her Mac before Leopard's released.
    Mac user since 1987. Running Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" & an iMac 27" and whatever's newest for my iPhone 5s, iPad Air and AppleTV 3.

barhar is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    'i have been trying for weeks to unlock the computer. the password he gave does not work' - ...

01. Visit someone with a retail copy of MacOS X.
    02. Insert the retail copy into your iBook, and reboot the iBook - with the retail copy as the boot volume.
    03. Reset the iBooks' password; and (optionally), set a new password.
    04. Eventually, purchase a retail copy of MacOS X.