Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bassprocm is offline Registered User
    Thanks

disable the Device Removal Message

Does anyone know how to disable the Device Removal message (The device you removed was not properly put away...) that pops up when a disk is removed without ejecting?

Thanks

lurk is offline Mitä?
    Thanks
    Um, unmount the disk before you eject it. That message is there for a reason, it is telling you that you removed the disk improperly and could damage your data.
    Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja!...
    Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

nixgeek is offline Mac of the SubGenius! :-)
    Thanks
    When you remove the disk properly, the OS makes some final writes to the disk in order to make sure the data is on there safely. When you disconnect the disk without removing it properly (aka, removing the disk before it's properly "unmounted"), those final writes are not performed and can cause the data to be corrupted. This is true in all operating systems from what I've seen.

When I've been approached by people that ask me to recover data from their USB flash drives because it's all of a sudden "stopped working", I always ask if they "remove the disk properly" before unplugging it from the computer. 99.99% of the time, the answer is "no". The other .01% usually has no idea what I'm talking about. Trust me, if you want to extend the life of your USB flash drive, don't disconnect it without unmounting it properly first.
    Apple iMac G5 17" (2 GHz G5) - Mac OS X 10.5.8/Ubuntu 10.04
    Asus Eee PC 901 (1.6 GHz Atom N270) - Fedora 13
    Apple Macintosh Quadra 650 (33 MHz MC68040) - Mac OS 8.1
    "JHVH-1" (2 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2400+) - Slackware 13.1

bassprocm is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies! :-) But my question is still unanswered.

Anybody know how to disable the "Device Removal" message?

Damrod is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I doubt anyone ever seriously tried to kick it out. As it was said above, the message is there for a reason. I for one have not heard of anyone removing the message in anyway
    PowerMac G4 MDD '03 1.25GHz, 1 GB RAM, 2x80 GB HDD, on OS X 10.4.x/10.5.x
    iPod nano 2nd Gen 2GB
    Part of the party since MacOS 7

My Last.fm Profile

Macpadawon is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Certainly not an elegant answer but, you can disable UserNotificationCenter.app found in /system/library/coreservices replace it with another app or file with the like name. This will glitch out Leopard, from displaying disk full messages.
    Last edited by Macpadawon; May 8th, 2008 at 11:44 PM.

DeltaMac is offline Tech
    Thanks
    Either way - the message is 'disabled' if you eject your disk or drive properly before removing it.
    Would you disable your smoke alarm in your house? That 'message' is pretty annoying, too!
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

Macpadawon is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Yea..but

Call me lazy. Call me crazy. But I like to just pull the usbflash drive or simply power-off the ejectable media without having to confirm first via clicking an icon or dragging to trash, or selecting a menu-item. Screw it! Aren't we supposed to tell the computer what to do, not the other way around? Anyhoo..I just tested my super hacky-ugly method again using 10.5.2 and all seems good. I'm getting a woody now because I have now disabled the stupid "this is a downloaded app do you want to open" BS and the nagging, safe-remove disk device message. Now if Unsanity would hurry up and enable clear dock again!

P.S. Yes actually I have disabled all but one centralized fire-alarm in my house. Call me a minimalist. Arrest me. Burn Me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast