Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bootroot.loader

mazzy is offline Registered User
    Thanks

bootroot.loader

Has anyone heard of this file?

It's located in /system/library/privateframeworks/mediakit.framework/versions/a/resources/mkdrivers.bundle/contents/resources/

Also in this folder are the following files-

Apple_Driver_ATA.ptDR.drvr
    Apple_Driver_ATA.wiki.drvr
    Apple_Driver_ATAPI.ATPI.drvr
    Apple_Driver_ATAPI.DMMY.drvr
    Apple_Driver_ATAPI.ptDR.drvr
    Apple_Driver43_CD.CDrv.drvr
    Apple_Driver43.0x00010600.drvr
    Apple_Driver43.ptDR.drvr
    Apple_Patches.mesh.ptch
    Apple_Patches.ruby.ptch
    Apple_Patches.scsi.ptch
    Apple_Patches.snag.ptch
    boot.loader
    database.plist
    defaults.plist
    efi.loader
    inventory.plist
    mini.loader

If anyone can tell me how to remove this, I'd appreciate it. It reinstalls after a so-called "clean" install.

Giaguara is offline Chmod 760
    Thanks
    Why do you want to remove it?

Frameworks are installed by the system, and those are usually safer to be left alone. If you do delete the file, get a backup of it before deleting it.
    Mac Mini Server | MacBook Pro | iPhone | Other Macs + a bunch of iPods, Newtons and other toys
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~ Samuel Clemens | G's corner | Photos | @ Plus+ and Game Center

Thanks
    Because the only reference that I can find on the internet about it, says it's a rootkit. But I don't know how true that is. I was hoping someone with an Intel Mac would know if it's a required file.

Thank you

Thanks
    Ah, now I found the reference you probably had found. Sophos?
    If an antivirus software is telling that is a 'bad' file they should be held responsible for that statement if deleting that file will do harm in the end. 00

I have the rest of those files in the same location also on a clean PPC Mac mini - will check on an Intel later (if the others haven't meanwhile) today. Considering that file's location, it'll be definitely better to check if it exists on the other similar systems, AND before deleting it making sure there is a backup in case there would be problems without it.

If you look at the other files in that location, you notice e.g. efi loader. If that file is gone, your Mac will need a new system installation.
    Inventory.plist lists the boot partition and other boot information. So at least all these other files are needed.
    Mac Mini Server | MacBook Pro | iPhone | Other Macs + a bunch of iPods, Newtons and other toys
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.

Thanks
    Thanks, I'll leave it alone then!

Thanks
    I'm just worried that I have a security issue. The changes I make in Safari or in network prefs, don't seem to matter. In Safari prefs I've unchecked "open safe files automatically". In my plist, it still has "True to open safe files automatically", "Webkit use site specific spoofing" etc. When I do a search on something related to my computer, I end up with Asian webpages. My computer is getting slower and slower, and I just ran sysctl in terminal and it shows things that I wouldn't imagine are normal, but I don't know for sure.
    In part--

vfs.devfs has 1 mounted instance
    vfs.fdesc has 1 mounted instance
    vfs.generic.nfs.client.initialdowndelay: 12
    vfs.generic.nfs.client.nextdowndelay: 30
    vfs.hfs has 2 mounted instances
    vfs.nfs has 4 mounted instances
    vfs.volfs has 1 mounted instance
    vm.loadavg: 0.20 0.09 0.20
    vm.swapusage: total = 512.00M used = 367.92M free = 144.08M

Why would I need 2 mounted vfs.hfs and 4 mounted vfs.nfs?

And also, there are many net.inet, net.inet6, dummynet and kern.dummy references. I also have 6to4.conf, afpovertcp.cf, and httpd.conf that recreates itself as a httpd.conf.bak if I edit it.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks
    Ok, checked on my MacBook Pro that is that fresh that iTunes hasn't even been opened on it and the only disc it has seen is the Mac OS X install disc. That bootroot.loader file is present at this location.
    How much free space do you have?
    Another thing.. do you have any external search thingies installed on your Mac, e.g. Google anything, Devon anything, anything else that would be indexing your drive?

Thanks
    I don't think so. I have EasyFind, but it's only supposed to search, not index. I do however have many help.helpindex files, and many html files. The help.helpindex files all begin with something similar to the following--

typedstream NSMutableDictionary NSDictionary NSObject NSString+SKI_USE_REMOTE_ROOT NSNumber NSValue SKI_VERSIONS SKI_SEARCH_KIT SKI_HELP_INDEXER SKI_SYSTEM_BUILD SKI_CORE_FOUNDATION SKI_FOUNDATION SKI_INDEX_DATA
    NSMutableData NSData[83968c]Bud2

If this (again is normal, I apologize. Unsure what the SKI_USE_REMOTE_ROOT thing is all about.

I also wonder about another file -- /library/perl/5.8.6/appendtopath
    the contents of this file-
    /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.6
    /Library/Perl/5.8.1

74.5 capacity with 43.1 available.

Thank you!
    Last edited by mazzy; April 26th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast