Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    simbalala is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Can one create an ďAliasĒ via Terminal?

I needed an alias from a PrefPane in my user area. I figured a symlink would do. So in Terminal I did a ln -s with the proper user directory and all looked good, it appears.

But the system threw an error when I tried to click it. It offered to repair the ďaliasĒ or delete it, so I opted to repair it, still didnít work, errors. I tried twice then threw in the towel, enabled root, logged into the GUI and created an alias the normal way, thatís fine.

Iím still wondering about the command line procedure though. It would be a link from a user area to an area owned by root and Iím guessing thatís the issue.

Mikuro is offline Crotchety UI Nitpicker
    Thanks
    Why did you need to enable root to create the alias? You should be able to make an alias in the Finder as any account. Does your account not have read access on your /System folder? Edit: I just remembered that the "Make Alias" command is dimmed without write access. In case you don't know, you can make aliases anyway by holding down command and option while dragging a file to another folder you have write access to.

Both aliases and symlinks work just fine for me. I made the alias in the Finder, the symlinks in Terminal like so:
    Code:
    ln -s /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Appearance.prefPane ~/Desktop
    I'm on 10.5.2, for what it's worth.
    Mac mini ó 1.25GHz G4, 1GB RAM ó OS 10.5.8
    MacBook Pro ó 2.26GHz C2D, 8GB RAM ó OS 10.6.8

Useful programs: Privoxy, Butler, ffmpegX, VLC, Perian, Tofu, Wcalc

simbalala is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikuro View Post
    Why did you need to enable root to create the alias?
    Because I was peeved.

In case you donít know, you can make aliases anyway by holding down command and option while dragging a file to another folder you have write access to.
    Didnít know about that one.

Öthe symlinks in Terminal like so:
    Code:
    ln -s /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Appearance.prefPane ~/Desktop
    Yeah, that works and thatís what I was doing, except I was using sudo. Iím not quite sure what I was doing wrong, but Iíd been struggling with something else for quite a while and I was in a hurry.

Edit: I got a cuter icon the way I did it, looks just like the icon in the preferences panel. So there
    Last edited by simbalala; May 14th, 2008 at 10:45 PM.