Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    scottyramos is offline Registered User
    Thanks

start a computer without password

Hey can someone help me PLEEEAAAASSSEEE!

i just purchased an 2001 IBook laptop from my brother-in-law and the first thing I did was delete the password. NOW, when i start the computer and try to log on, the log on box shakes side to side a few times and the log on below starts to move then the lines stops and the computer appears to freeze.

How can I get logged on. Some body please help me!!!!!!

DeltaMac is offline Tech
    Thanks
    What process did you use to 'delete' the password?
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

scottyramos is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Thanks for responding. I did not think anyone would

I BELIEVE went to the preference section and asked to change the log in name. It asked for the password, which I provided. I then changed the log in name and deleted the password. It appears it may have also asked if I wanted to remove the password box, which I may have done, but I am not sure.

If you could help me you would be my hero!

Virtual1 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    You probably unchecked the "automatically login as" check box in accounts prefs. Before that you were used to restarting the computer and landing at your desktop. Now it's asking for a user and password since auto login is turned off. If it's giving a list of users, try the user(s) and see if the password is blank. If it's asking for you to type in the username as well as the password, things will not be so easy. In any event, you should be able to get the correct password from your in-law.

fryke is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't post questions into the HOWTO-forum.
    Mac user since 1987. Running Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" & an iMac 27" and whatever's newest for my iPhone 5s, iPad Air and AppleTV 3.

ElDiabloConCaca is offline U.S.D.A. Prime
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyramos View Post
    Hey can someone help me PLEEEAAAASSSEEE!

i just purchased an 2001 IBook laptop from my brother-in-law and the first thing I did was delete the password. NOW, when i start the computer and try to log on, the log on box shakes side to side a few times and the log on below starts to move then the lines stops and the computer appears to freeze.
    You can use the Mac OS X Install CD/DVD to reset the password by booting from the CD/DVD then selecting "Reset Password" from the Installer menu.

Hopefully your brother-in-law sold you the original Mac OS X Install CD/DVD along with the iBook -- if not, well, I would go back to him and request them. Buying a computer without having the original OS install CD/DVD included is like purchasing a car without the seller including the keys.
    2009 Mac mini 2.0GHz 2010 MacBook Air 11" 2010 MacBook Pro 13" LED 24" Cinema Display
    PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 Yikes! iPad 2 32GB 2 x iPhone 4 16GB iPod Touch 8GB iPod nano 1GB iPod shuffle 1GB AirPort Extreme dual-band AppleTV
    http://www.jeffhoppe.com