Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    electroboy is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Cd/dvd Drive Not Working!

Hello,

I wonder if you can help me out..

My drive is not recognising any blank cd/dvd when i put in computer.

Even a real cd or dvd is not getting any response either!

It has only started happening today! It's like the computer doesn't recognise it.

The computer just spits it out after a couple of seconds.

I've restarted and shut down but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? I'm using Mac OSX

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    First you didn't try everything!

Which Mac do you have and what version of OS X is it running?

Have you reset the PRAM? Have you cleaned out the dust in the DVD drive lately? Do OS X even see the drive anymore (click on the top left Apple and select "About this Mac", then select 'More Info'. This will launch System Profiler and in there select 'Disk Burning' )?
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

Thanks
    Satcomer,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I am running Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

I've clicked on the Apple and the "more info" box is shaded and won't let me click on it!

I am just going to try resetting the PRAM to see if this is the problem.

How exactly do you clean out the dust in the DVD drive?

Do you buy a special disk?

Thanks for your help and i'll probably need more help very soon!

Cheers

Electroboy

Thanks
    Satcomer,

I've just reset the PRAM and still the drive does not recognize any cd's or dvd's!

Any ideas?

It's driving me mad!

Thanks

Electroboy

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    To clean out the DVD drive (for slot drives) just get a compressed air can that has one of those straw like tube with it. Then just blow out (toward the Earth direction). You also can go to any book electronic store and buy a cheap CD/DVD cleaning disk too.

Now go to /Applications/Utilities/System Profiler and launch it. then in it select "Disk Burning" to see if the Mac still sees the drive.
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

Thanks
    Hi,

Done Safe Boot, cleaned out the optical drive with compressed air and still it's not working!

Should i do a PMU/SMU/SMC reset on it?

How do you do this?

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11

What is best to do i this doesn't work? Buy an external dvd/cd burner or get optical drive repaired?

Does it cost a lot of money to repair?

Thanks

Electroboy

auntdennis is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Talking There are others like you out there!

This will not help you in the least but I would just like to say you are not alone because I am experiencing the exact same problem. If you find a solution to your problem I would be very grateful if you told me about it via this thread.

aeastwood is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    No one asked what computer model is in use. Don't buy/use a cleaning disk if you have a slot loading laptop... or a slot loading anything for that matter.

If you have a recent model MacBook you may be suffering what many others are fighting with, and things may have stopped working after a firmware update. I am dealing with the same issue, though it doesn't affect every data disk I insert and nor does it spit out every blank disk (DVD or CD), just some... well... most actually.

If the drive is damaged (and not under warranty) the cost of replacement will be determined mostly by the computer model. A desktop tower (Mac Pro, G4 say) will take significantly less time to deal with than a laptop... A MacBook optical drive replacement could set you back as much as $250 (possibly more) for parts and labour. A tower repair/replacement is not too daunting a task for anyone who knows how to use a screwdriver.

The suggestion regarding System Profiler is the fist step you should follow. And if all is reported as being well and the optical drive is recognised as being there, then it may be that it needs to be replaced.

I would also try the following just so you know you have tried most of the standard repair procedures:

Running fsck in single user mode
    Restart (or start up) > hold down Apple key-S
    You should then see a
    Black screen with white scrolling text > type the following when the scrolling text finishes:
    sbin/fsck -fy
    NOTE... there is a space between the k and the hyphen...
    and then press return
    Allow the computer to run though the checks. When the procedure is finished you may receive a message that no repairs were necessary, or that repairs were successful (I cannot remember the exact phrases).
    type: reboot and press return key. Mac will restart

Zapping the PRam
    Restart (or start up)> hold down Apple key-option-P-R
    Keep these keys held down until you hear the start-up chime three times and then release, and allow the Mac to start up.
    You may have to reset your computer clock after this procedure.

Repair Permissions
    Open Disk Utility, in the Applications > Utilities folder, and choose Help > Disk Utility Help.
    This will provide the necessary information on how to proceed. This is, basically:

In Disk Utility, select the computer's hard drive in the list.
    Click First Aid.
    Click the Repair Disk Permissions button (there is also a Verify Permissions button).

Now... the Apple Help for Disk Utility does not suggest that you repair permissions twice, but I always do this. I want to see a clean bill of health in the Permissions repair summary.
    In fact, I never Verify permissions. I go straight for Repair. I don't see the point of checking something that almost always has something to fix.
    A PMU reset is not the same on every computer so we will need to know what Mac model is in use.

Good luck

Reagrds

Anthony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast