Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    lxc90 is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Unlocking a mac osx after purchase from a school.

Hi Everyone. Really need some quick help here. My mother works for a school district which provides laptop computers. They recently rolled over to newer computers and my mother purchased the old one from the school. Most everything works normally, although there are quite a few things(system preference e.t.c..) which require a admin name & password. It has been impossible for me to acquire these from the school and I am looking for a way to override these. I read on a forum to reinstall the hard drive from an operting cd. I have no cds whatsoever with the computer. Would love any suggestions on how to override thise system admin & password problem.

sgould is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    If you can't get the passwords from the school, I think you have to use an install CD.

What system is the laptop running? If it's an older system 10.3 or 10.4 (Panther & Tiger), there are cheap retail discs available on the web. But beware the grey discs being sold. These are the ones that came in the box with somebody's new computer and will only work on that model. You need the black retail discs to be sure things will work.

Alternatively, if the laptop is new enough, you may be able to install the latest Leopard system (10.5).

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    Did you look down the forum list at [HOWTO] Fix User lost Administrator privileges thread too?
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    32G iPhone 4S Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

jbarley is offline One more, for the road!
    Thanks
    One of the problems with a question of this nature, is that this is the exact same situation a person would find themselves in if they had a "stolen" computer and needed to override the admin passwords.
    The information the OP posted is very sketchy at best, especially the part about buying a system and it came with "no" install CDs, which is highly unlikely if the transaction is legal.

jb.

nixgeek is offline Mac of the SubGenius! :-)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarley View Post
    One of the problems with a question of this nature, is that this is the exact same situation a person would find themselves in if they had a "stolen" computer and needed to override the admin passwords.
    The information the OP posted is very sketchy at best, especially the part about buying a system and it came with "no" install CDs, which is highly unlikely if the transaction is legal.

jb.
    True, but there have been many times where a school or business will sell the older hardware without the software. This happens quite often (check out the 68KMLA forums on some of the conquests and you'll see what I mean). Sometimes it's because they don't realize that the software would be needed with the hardware....they're just trying to get rid of the old stuff as it is.
    Apple iMac G5 17" (2 GHz G5) - Mac OS X 10.5.8/Ubuntu 10.04
    Asus Eee PC 901 (1.6 GHz Atom N270) - Fedora 13
    Apple Macintosh Quadra 650 (33 MHz MC68040) - Mac OS 8.1
    "JHVH-1" (2 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2400+) - Slackware 13.1

fryke is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    1.) Questions do not belong in the HOWTO & FAQs forum, answers and guides do.
    2.) You'll need the original installation disks. They belong to the computer.
    Mac user since 1987. Running Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" & an iMac 27" and whatever's newest for my iPhone 5s, iPad Air and AppleTV 3.