Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DeltaMac is offline Tech
    Thanks
    So, is that all you have, a bad hard drive? All hard drives fail. Some last longer than others.
    I understand your frustration, when one piece makes all the rest appear bad.

How long have you had your Mac?
    If you are still in warranty, then get the hard drive replaced.

How long since you were last able to back up your hard drive?
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

Doctor X is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex1000 View Post
    In order to fix my drive issue I would have to buy another hard drive so I can back up and wipe the drive that's having the issue.
    You should have that whether you have a Mac, PC , or even Timex Sinclair 3500. So much pain saved by a back-up. Huge-Ass Ext-HD are rather cheap nowadays. A cloning program can be free--Carbon Copy Cloner--or reasonable--SuperDuper!. I believe TimeMachine now makes bootable clones.

Add that to what DeltaMac wrote.

Take a few deep breaths

--J.D.
    MacBookPro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 Gig RAM, 10.8.5--"Okay . . . I will try Mountain Lion!"
    Fear Me! FEAR ME!
    His secrets are not sold cheaply.
    It is perilous to waste his time.

Rex1000 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    It's my external drive that's having problems, error message when I try to copy folders over (I can copy individual files, but not folders). I want to reinstate the external drive but I can't back up terabytes of data, without going and getting a new drive or burning multple disks. I also want to reinstall and or back up my Mac OSX to this external drive but I also get errors when I try to do this. Long story short things are broken and I'm tired of computers (in particular my MacBook). I've always had Mac products since the classic, as I mentioned before this MacBook has given me nothing but problems. And no I don't have apple care - y should I pay that cash out when I dropped 2500 on this MacBook - in my little world I'd think a company should stand behind their products, Mac offering apple care is basically them saying we know our products aren't reliable, so spend another 200-500$ for a warranty.. Just in case! I'm done with Mac, next purchase will be a 500$ windows pc, at least ill have a couple grand left over to fix it if it goes south.

Doctor X is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex1000 View Post
    It's my external drive that's having problems, . . .
    is irrelevant to

in particular my MacBook
    You have a bad/faulty/corrupt/whathaveyou external drive, it will be that way whether you connect it to a Macbook, PC laptop, or a rabid vole.

--J.D.
    MacBookPro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 Gig RAM, 10.8.5--"Okay . . . I will try Mountain Lion!"
    Fear Me! FEAR ME!
    His secrets are not sold cheaply.
    It is perilous to waste his time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12