Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    KHefner is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Unhappy Can't select destination volume to install Mac OS X software

I am trying to reinstall OS X 10.3.9 on my G5 iMac. I get through the first steps on Installation Disk 1 up until "Select Destination Volume." I can't select a destination volume to install the Mac OS X software; there are no options (except back).

I recently had a new hard drive installed at Best Buy (WD SATA 320GB internal hard drive). The hard drive is recognized when I run Disk Utility but I cannot select "Verify Disk" or any of the other options.

I'm wondering if the problem is with the hard drive? I'm reading the hard drive box now and it says it's compatible with OS but doesn't say anything about OS X. They wanted to charge me $150 to install software so I'd like to figure it out myself if anyone is willing to help me. I'm sure I forgot to include necessary specifics so please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Kaitlin

fryke is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps it's not partitioned for use on that iMac yet. Go to Disk Utility, select the drive (not any volumes on it) and hit the partitioning tab. There create as one volume with APT as the partitioning scheme (Apple Partitioning Scheme or something like that) and give the volume the name "Macintosh HD". After that's done, the volume should be created and available for installation when you quit Disk Utility.
    Mac user since 1987. Running Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" & an iMac 27" and whatever's newest for my iPhone 5s, iPad Air and AppleTV 3.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fryke For This Useful Post:

Arthur Lewin (March 15th, 2009),billiehawkins (July 29th, 2011)

ElDiabloConCaca is offline U.S.D.A. Prime
    Thanks
    This was a known issue in 10.3 (where installation volumes don't show up via the "Installer" program)... try hitting the "Back" button, then go forward again.
    2009 Mac mini 2.0GHz 2010 MacBook Air 11" 2010 MacBook Pro 13" LED 24" Cinema Display
    PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 Yikes! iPad 2 32GB 2 x iPhone 4 16GB iPod Touch 8GB iPod nano 1GB iPod shuffle 1GB AirPort Extreme dual-band AppleTV
    http://www.jeffhoppe.com

KHefner is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    fryke, thanks for your suggestions. I followed your instructions. Now the volume shows up but it has a red octagon with the exclamation point in it now! "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume." (For example see attached img.)

ElDiablo, tried hitting back numerous times then going forward. Also tried restarting.

I'm kind of stuck! Thanks for everyone's help though!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KHefner; January 5th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.

MacLori is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Exclamation hey

Hey hefner
    curious if you solved your problem? I got the same exact deal going on here!!

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    If it has the disk like in the picture then it means the disk is too full to install and you must make room for it. Plus it is better to do an Archive & Install.
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

MacLori is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Thumbs down doesn't make sense

hi satcomer
    that does not make sense, sorry.

if it was too full then it would SAY, there is not enough room on this disk to install.

The disk is completely erased, except for some minor KB files - and shows up in disk utility, but is grayed out and will not allow mounting...

DId you read the issue before replying? ARE you familiar with Mac? I have 27 yrs experience, was certified on Mac, and never encountered this problem. Would love some expertise if at all possible from someone- please help! The repairs cost more than the computer is worth! I have a new hard drive, but gosh it's an all day job and requires disassembling the entire computer...

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLori View Post
    hi satcomer
    that does not make sense, sorry.

if it was too full then it would SAY, there is not enough room on this disk to install.

The disk is completely erased, except for some minor KB files - and shows up in disk utility, but is grayed out and will not allow mounting...

DId you read the issue before replying? ARE you familiar with Mac? I have 27 yrs experience, was certified on Mac, and never encountered this problem. Would love some expertise if at all possible from someone- please help! The repairs cost more than the computer is worth! I have a new hard drive, but gosh it's an all day job and requires disassembling the entire computer...
    Yes I have used Macs almost since they were first introduced. Did you use the install disk and then before the install process first button push and go to the menu items to find "Disk Utility" to see if it can fix your internal disk?

Now all hard drives WILL fail! That is a fact of life so you better lern how to replace an internal hard drive. Places like IFixIt.com and OWC videos will show how to replace a hard drive.
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast