Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amie is offline Mac Convert for Life
    Thanks

Thumbs down Why Does Firefox Take SO Long to Quit???

Firefox works great, but when I quit the app, I have to sit and wait several minutes for it to finish quitting before closing my laptop. It's not a big deal, but it's annoying at times - especially when I'm rushing in between clients. I'd like to be able to just quit and close and off I go. Is there any way to lessen the time that it takes FF to quit?
    RIP iBook G4. You were the best computer for 8 years and you never failed at ANYTHING. I am the proud new owner of a MacBook Air. Do NOT be fooled by its sleek, super lightweight design. It's a POWERFULLY AWESOME lil' machine.

DeltaMac is offline Tech
    Thanks
    Any reason you need to quit Firefox? Just close the laptop lid, and she sleeps....
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaMac View Post
    Any reason you need to quit Firefox? Just close the laptop lid, and she sleeps....
    Yes, for two reasons:

1. If you leave apps running all the time, this can cause memory leaks.

2. I'm anal and like to quit everything before sleeping my laptop.
    RIP iBook G4. You were the best computer for 8 years and you never failed at ANYTHING. I am the proud new owner of a MacBook Air. Do NOT be fooled by its sleek, super lightweight design. It's a POWERFULLY AWESOME lil' machine.

Mikuro is offline Crotchety UI Nitpicker
    Thanks
    I've sometimes noticed Firefox become mysteriously slow in one aspect or another, and the simplest way to fix it is to create a new Firefox profile. You'll need to import your old bookmarks and adjust all your preferences for the new profile, but it might be worth it.

To make a new Firefox profile, you need to use the command line. Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and paste this in:
    Code:
    /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -profilemanager
    (You may need to change "/Applications/Firefox.app" to something else if you don't have Firefox directly in your Applications folder.) See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Mac_OS_X for more details.

So I'd recommend making a new Firefox profile, testing the speed, and if it's good, then go to the trouble of moving your bookmarks in from your old profile.

Actually, speaking of bookmarks, that reminds me that I found Firefox unsuitable for my father because he has a bajillion bookmarks (well, at least several thousand, anyway), and it made Firefox slow to a crawl. If you have a large bookmarks collection, that might be a problem.

FWIW, my Mac is comparable to yours speed-wise, and Firefox quits instantly.
    Mac mini 1.25GHz G4, 1GB RAM OS 10.5.8
    MacBook Pro 2.26GHz C2D, 8GB RAM OS 10.6.8

Useful programs: Privoxy, Butler, ffmpegX, VLC, Perian, Tofu, Wcalc

DeltaMac is offline Tech
    Thanks
    Are you really experiencing memory leaks from Firefox?
    1. Certainly, there are some apps that may contribute to that, but usually the system will handle that, unless your system response is slowing down dramatically because of a memory shortage.
    Every app left running does not cause memory leaks in every case, so your information is inaccurate. That would be only in some cases, with some apps, not just any app....
    And - a restart will clear that little difficulty quite quickly.
    2. Why not reserve your 'anality' for something important? ( I apologize, that would take you out of the definition for anal, eh? )

Likely with FireFox, the problem may be in an extension/plugin that you have added to FireFox. You could probably turn each off one at a time, and you should be able to determine which is jamming up your FireFox.
    You could also monitor your Activity Monitor when you Quit Firefox, which might help to show you processes may be slow to respond as you quit FireFox. In other words, you might find out that FireFox is simply the result, and not the cause of your slow quit.
    Last edited by DeltaMac; May 22nd, 2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: echo what Mikuro said... thanks, M
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, guys! You know what? I just remembered reading something ... somewhere ... about remedying this very problem! I wish I could remember what it was. LOL I do, however, recall it having something to do with the cookies ... setting them in FF preferences to be removed at a quicker expiration date or something like that? Does any of this ring a bell?

P.S. And, yes, FF does cause memory leaks. Whenever I sleep my computer while leaving the app running for a day or two, next time I use FF, it's v-e-e-e-e-e-r-y slow and just all messed up.

atariboy70 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Hey Mikuro:

Thanks for the tip. I had posted another thread named "Firefox super-lag?!" in which I vented my frustration over Firefox going super-duper slow...after pasting your code in Terminal and creating a new profile...it runs smooth as silk (knock on wood)! =) What a relief. Thanks bunches...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by atariboy70 View Post
    Hey Mikuro:

Thanks for the tip. I had posted another thread named "Firefox super-lag?!" in which I vented my frustration over Firefox going super-duper slow...after pasting your code in Terminal and creating a new profile...it runs smooth as silk (knock on wood)! =) What a relief. Thanks bunches...
    Oops ... maybe I didn't make my problem clear. See, FF runs very swift and flawless while running. My problem is: It takes forever to quit. Does that make sense? (Sorry if I'm confusing everyone.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast