Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    tadaaa is offline Registered User
    Thanks

.MKV file crashing VLC!

Hi,

VLC keeps crashing when I try to open a .mkv file I recently downloaded. The file is about 6.5 GB, so I thought maybe its too big for VLC to play. Does anyone know how to fix this ?

Madelin is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Using 1.0.5 RC version im having no problems with .mkv

Does it work with Quicktime. You might need to install the Perian codecs. These are free and allow quicktime to open almost any video type (incase you didnt already know). Google it for the download.

VLC does crash when i try to quit it after opening an .mkv with it though. Maybe VLC is just shoddy with .mkv....
    27" iMac 3.06 GHz Core2Duo: SuperDrive, ATI HD 4670, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.6.2

fryke is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since most 6.5 GB MKV files you could've downloaded are illegal copies of movies, it could simply be a corrupted file. What you can do:

- Try a newer version of VLC.
    - Try MPlayer Extended.
    - Try Quicktime with Perian.

In my opinion, though, VLC handles MKVs best. It's not about the file size. VLC doesn't load the full file at once into RAM (that would make no sense).
    Mac user since 1987. Running Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" & an iMac 27" and whatever's newest for my iPhone 5s, iPad Air and AppleTV 3.

tadaaa is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I recently downloaded a program called Plex, and I've started using this program instead. It works fine with the video I tried to watch. MPlayer didn't work at all, and when I opened the file in MPlayer there came this horrible clicking-sound from the screen so I stopped using MPlayer alltogether.

Thanks for the advice.