Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    midijeep is offline Registered User
    Thanks

How to make an pdf document read only

Hi all,
    I want to make a pdf document I created with Microsoft Word a reading only pdf. I don;t want other to be able to edit, copy or print the test. Any ideas on what to use or how to do it?

TIA

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    Highlight the file icon and do a 'Get Info' on it (the key combination is command key+i) on it. The 'Get Info' panel while will popup and you cab set permissions there.
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Satcomer For This Useful Post:

midijeep (September 6th, 2010)

ElDiabloConCaca is offline U.S.D.A. Prime
    Thanks
    I don't think that's what he means... while Satcomer's suggestion will make the document a "read-only" document in terms of UNIX permissions, there are Adobe-specific ways of making a document non-editable, non-selectable, and non-printable (which UNIX-style permissions cannot accomplish, especially if the document is transferred to someone else's computer -- they can override those security settings if on a Mac or Linux/UNIX computer, and they won't even work at all on a Windows computer).

I believe you'll need Adobe Acrobat Pro in order to do this. If you have that, select "Advanced > Security..." and create a new policy (with a password) that restricts printing and text selection... then apply it to the document you'd like.
    2009 Mac mini 2.0GHz 2010 MacBook Air 11" 2010 MacBook Pro 13" LED 24" Cinema Display
    PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 Yikes! iPad 2 32GB 2 x iPhone 4 16GB iPod Touch 8GB iPod nano 1GB iPod shuffle 1GB AirPort Extreme dual-band AppleTV
    http://www.jeffhoppe.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ElDiabloConCaca For This Useful Post:

midijeep (September 6th, 2010)

DavidSmith is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Hey, you can use Adobe Acrobat to do this. Click Secure button and select encrypt with password. In pop-up window of Password Security- Settings, you can set the open password and owner password.
    I found a article talking about how to create and crack pdf password in detail,

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidSmith For This Useful Post:

midijeep (September 21st, 2010)

midijeep is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. I did find that if you open the word doc in pages then go to File/Export. select PDF tab, than click the Security drop down arrow and select Print, add the password. This is an easy way to do it.