Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jayess is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Movies in iPhoto

I am using iPhoto 08 on an iMac, Snow Leopard. I have imported a movie shot from my camera (.avi file) which is supposed to open in QuickTime Player by double clicking - but it doesn't. The only way I can open it is to go to the file in Finder and select "open with QuickTime". Can anyone tell me why I cannot get the movie to run in iPhoto by double clicking?
    Jayess

MisterMe is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Down load and install the Perian codec suite.

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    Plus download the free Flip4Mac QuickTime plugin.
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

Thanks
    I have up to date versions of Perian and Flip4Mac installed already but still the .avi file will not open by double clicking.
    Jayess

DeltaMac is offline Tech
    Thanks
    If you right-click on that .avi file, then choose Open with..., then click the item "Other"
    Browse to iPhoto, and click the box "Always open with", and the system should ask if you want all .avi files to open in iPhoto, so click OK.

Or, you could just drag'n drop that .avi file on top of the iPhoto icon, and iPhoto will then import that .avi file. You could, by importing, add all your .avi files to the iPhoto library - so double-clicking would no longer be necessary - just open iPhoto.
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

Thanks
    Possibly my original posting did not make it clear enough that I have no problem opening the .avi file by any of the procedures outlined by DeltaMac. I have been relying on David Pogue's "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" for guidance since I acquired my first Mac. In it he states that after importing an .avi file into iPhoto it can be played in QuickTime by simply double clicking the thumbnail in iPhoto. As I stated in my original posting this does not work, I am coming to the conclusion that the information given by David Pogue is incorrect and the only way to play the file is as outlined by DeltaMac.
    Thank you all for your assistance.
    Jayess

DeltaMac is offline Tech
    Thanks
    That book is simply outdated.
    I don't have iPhoto vers 8, but I have Snow Leopard, with iPhoto vers 9.
    I imported an .avi file, and double-clicked on that .avi in iPhoto. The video opened from within iPhoto - so, I assume, iPhoto simply plays the file directly without using QuickTime player.
    Do you have both the normal Quicktime Player, and Quicktime Player 7 installed? The older version 7 player is a separate install in Snow Leopard, and provides some features that that newer Quicktime 10 dropped.

note - I also have iPhoto 8 on another Mac, running 10.5.8.
    Imported the same .avi file, double-clicked on that file in iPhoto, and the Quicktime Player launched.
    So, I conclude that the David Pogue info is correct, just out-dated for your Snow Leapard system. iPhoto, under Snow Leopard, does not need the QuickTime player app to view a video.
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DeltaMac For This Useful Post:

jayess (May 9th, 2011)

Thanks
    Thanks, DeltaMac, the penny dropped when you asked if I had both QuickTime 7 & 10 installed. I trashed QuickTime 10, opened iPhoto, double clicked on the .avi file and it opened in Quicktime 7 as it should. It is interesting to note (for me anyway) that whereas QuickTime 7 is installed as a plugin to iPhoto (it appears in "Utilities") QuickTime 10 was in "Applications". It appears that iPhoto was looking at 10 instead of 7. Mystery solved - I guess.
    Thanks, Jayess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast