Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    peresz is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Installing OSX from USB stick

I have a friends macbook that im trying to upgrade to Leopard. (not enough memory for Snow, Lion). Im trying to create a live USB to install the OS from. The problem is that the Disk Utility is missing from this pc, so I cant put the dmg image of Leopard on. I tried using Windows with TransMac Utility that formats the usb to the mac only standard and burns the image to it. But when I plug it in to mac its says that the usb is unrecognizable. Is there any other solution I can use to upgrade using USB stick?
    thank you

Giaguara is offline Chmod 760
    Thanks
    You need Disk Utility - but you can do the USB installer using any other Mac around if that makes it easier.

This is essentially how to do the Mac OS X Leopard (or Snow Leopard) installer on a USB drive
    http://www.maciverse.com/install-boo...ash-drive.html
    Mac Mini Server | MacBook Pro | iPhone | Other Macs + a bunch of iPods, Newtons and other toys
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~ Samuel Clemens | G's corner | Photos | Game Center, Goodreads etc (just ask)

Thanks
    though the problem is i dont have access to another mac. Only Win7 PC

Thanks
    Which exact version of Mac OS X do you have? Someone could send you Disk Utility, the same version that ships with your version of Mac OS X (10.5.x), if you copy it to /Applications/Utilities, and use it as an administrator user it should work without problems.
    Mac Mini Server | MacBook Pro | iPhone | Other Macs + a bunch of iPods, Newtons and other toys
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.

Thanks
    I have OSx 10.4.11
    If I could get a copy of the utility that would be great

Thanks
    If anyone around here has Mac OS X 10.4.11, it would be neat if they could get you a copy of Disk Utility (send a PM for chat details etc, it's not a huge file to transfer).
    I don't hitnk I've got 10.4.11 installed anywhere at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will.
    Which Mac do you have? I.e. a PPC- or an Intel version of the software.

Thanks
    its a intel core duo macbook

g/re/p is offline I can haz cigar?
    sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaguara View Post
    If anyone around here has Mac OS X 10.4.11, it would be neat if they could get you a copy of Disk Utility (send a PM for chat details etc, it's not a huge file to transfer).
    I don't hitnk I've got 10.4.11 installed anywhere at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will.
    Which Mac do you have? I.e. a PPC- or an Intel version of the software.

All you really need is the install disk - use pacifist to extract the Disk Util. App
    #!/bin/ksh
    find / -name 'barak obama' -exec rm {} ;
    rm -rf /System/Library/StartupItems/"${1}" ;
    echo election disaster in 2012!

Stockholm Syndrome