Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    prosonman is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Help - cannot install OS X on new hard drive.

Hi,

I replaced the hard drive in my iMac 24" 2.16ghz core 2 duo when it died.

I have tried reinstalling from the original 10.4.7 disks but the wheel under the apple logo freezers after around 1 minute.

I have cleared nvram and the hardware check says everything is normal.

I bought a new retail copy 10.6.3 and this stops during install asking me to turn power off to reboot.

I have tried installing holding the left shift key and then I get the following message:
    unable to find driver for this platform "ACPI"

Any help appreciated please.

Thanks.

LeoTheLion89 is offline Banned
    Thanks
    try only install the base system no other extras. also do u have a intel mac?

Thanks
    Yes it is an intel based system, core 2 duo. Using original install disk but it won't go past grey apple screen before if crashes.

jbarley is offline One more, for the road!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheLion89 View Post
    try only install the base system no other extras. also do u have a intel mac?
    core 2 duo = Intel
    "I would never want to be a member of a group who worship a man nailed to two pieces of wood"
    -Anonymous

LeoTheLion89 is offline Banned
    Thanks
    make sure your harddrive is proply seated and secured with SATA HDDs i spec off will make a difference

Thanks
    Hard driver is properly seated, trying to work out if I can access it in Single user mode to confirm it working.

It does sound like it spins up and it works ok in my external housing.

Not sure if there is a problem with graphic card, it seems that the iMac freezes just when install is about to launch.....will keep trying but I think it's heading for the bin.

ElDiabloConCaca is offline U.S.D.A. Prime
    Thanks
    I bought a new retail copy 10.6.3 and this stops during install asking me to turn power off to reboot.
    Was this a retail version bought, in a box, from the Apple Store? Or was this something advertised as "full, retail version" that you got from somewhere like eBay?

In other words, what color is the disk? If it's gray-colored, then it's a system-specific disk and will only work with the Mac model printed on the front of the disk. It will not boot any other Mac successfully. Retail versions are typically black in color (for earlier versions), or white (for later versions -- Snow Leo, I believe)... gray color indicates you may have been sold a system-specific disk under the guise of a retail disk.
    2009 Mac mini 2.0GHz 2010 MacBook Air 11" 2010 MacBook Pro 13" LED 24" Cinema Display
    PowerMac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4 Yikes! iPad 2 32GB 2 x iPhone 4 16GB iPod Touch 8GB iPod nano 1GB iPod shuffle 1GB AirPort Extreme dual-band AppleTV
    http://www.jeffhoppe.com

Thanks
    It was the full retail version bought from Apple, it has the Snow Leopard picture on it so it's not the grey version that comes with the mac. I have the grey disks that came with the mac but both these and the retail version seem to stop installing while the apple logo is on the screen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast