Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    djackmac is offline ACMT
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by prosonman View Post
    I have tried using an external DVD drive, also I created an image on a USB stick and USB hard drive using TransMac on a PC. I didn't disconnect the internal DVD drive but used the option key to ensure I booted from the external USB source.

All did exactly the same and only booted to the Apple logo and then froze, would disconnecting the internal DVD make any difference or was this just to confirm that it was not booting from that device?
    Yeah, that would make a difference. Some of those iMacs had issues with the optical drive cables to where a bad cable would make the machine not boot to anything. I think it has a lot to do with that being the first year they moved the optical onto the SATA bus as opposed to the old fashioned ATA bus. I don't remember it happening on the 24' iMac as most I've seen were on the 20' iMac, but still could be very possible? I just don't know how confident I'd be that the flash drive installer would boot it? I would be more comfortable with having created the flash drive installer on a Mac restoring the image from disk utility just to be confident it was done right.

EDIT: Just noticed you have the white 24' and not one of the early aluminum 24' iMacs. Highly unlikely its the optical and much more likely its the video card. Its still definitely worth a try disconnecting the optical, but I've seen at least of few of those with bad video cards. Luckily that model you can get a separate video card since its not integrated onto the board.
    Last edited by djackmac; February 28th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

prosonman is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I have tried booting up from an external USB DVD drive and still the same results with the internal DVD disconnected.

I'm going to buy another video card before I finally give up, I'm not very hopeful that this will work as there doesn't seem anything wrong with the video card other than I just can't get the iMac to go past the grey screen.

Thanks.

NuMackUsr is offline Banned
    Thanks
    I have tried booting up from an external USB DVD drive and still the same results with the internal DVD disconnected.

I'm going to buy another video card before I finally give up, I'm not very hopeful that this will work as there doesn't seem anything wrong with the video card other than I just can't get the iMac to go past the grey screen.

Thanks.
    Did you disconnect the internal DVD Drive? Did you double check all the connectors you disconnected to replace the hard drive? The video card is possible but does not mean that it is. Video Cards can cause hang ups if they are bad and might even not show video at all. It could even be the entire logic board.

NuMackUsr is offline Banned
    Thanks

Thanks.
    Do take note that the video card may not even be the problem. Video Cards, when bad usually tend to show no video at all. It is a possibility but it is not a guarantee fix.

Doctor X is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    And like THAT . . .

. . . troll's gone!

--J.D.
    MacBookPro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 Gig RAM, 10.8.5--"Okay . . . I will try Mountain Lion!"
    Fear Me! FEAR ME!
    His secrets are not sold cheaply.
    It is perilous to waste his time.

Thanks
    Just a quick update:
    I have plugged in an external monitor and successfully installed windows xp and used xp installer to partition the drive.

I cannot see anything on the main monitor yet it only works the external monitor.

Going to try a few more things to see if I can work out what the hell is happening and why I can't install OSX without it hanging.

Thanks
    Is this a video card problem?

I have hooked up an external monitor and disconnected the internal screen, this seems to set the primary monitor to the external screen. I have managed to install windows xp using the external monitor, if I reconnect the main screen it just goes blank during boot and doesn't show anything else.

I can't install OSX using the external monitor as it just goes blank after the apple logo disappears as I suspect my external monitor does not support the 1900x1200 resolution.

Attached is a picture showing some funny lines on the XP boot up screen, however the screen looks fine when it does eventually load XP......very strange!

any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

djackmac is offline ACMT
    Thanks
    Is this a video card problem?
    Certainly looks that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast