Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    prosonman is offline Registered User
    Thanks

How to get Firmware Restoration CD to work?

I suspect or at least would like to rule out the possibility that a corrupt firmware is stopping my iMac from reinstalling.

I have downloaded the Firmware Restoration CD image from apple, version 1.4 and burnt it to a CD using a PC with TransMac.

I have held the power button down and get a quickly flashing sleep light followed by a long beep.

The iMac 24" 2.16ghz intel core 2 duo then just goes to a folder with a question mark.

I have removed the hard drive and formatted to a GPT scheme before trying but I still cannot get firmware to restore.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

DeltaMac is online now Tech
    Thanks
    You can't use the restoration CD to try to repair possibly bad firmware. That's not too likely, anyway. The restoration CD is used to try to recover from a failed or interrupted installation. That would cause the Mac to not boot, and the restoration CD would fix that issue, but no help for your issue.
    What happens when you try to boot to your OS X installer DVD? Can you choose the hard drive for the install destination?
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

Thanks
    I can't choose a hard drive to install to, the installer hangs on the grey Apple screen.

All common issues have been checked:-
    Original disks correct and alternative disks tried.
    External DVD tested and still the same.
    PRam and NVRam reset.
    Booted up using option key and selected OSX installer.
    Tried holding shift key with installer disk (Kernal Panic - unable to load driver - ACPI)

The iMac will boot into single user mode, I suspect Motherboard, graphic card or LCD screen.

Don't really know what else to try, have be trying for a week now without any joy.

DeltaMac is online now Tech
    Thanks
    Maybe your hard drive is bad - even a new one can fail
    Pull the hard drive out completely, and try to boot to the installer.
    Obviously, you won't be able to install, but you are just testing to see if it will boot to the DVD.
    Be sure to also try reseating your RAM cards.
    Serendipity is a lucky guess !

Thanks
    Yes done that, I think I have done just about everything now and only left with the possibility that the logic (motherboard) is faulty. The Apple Hardware Test says everything is fine both on standard and extended tests, I have even tried booting a windows xp disk to see what happens but the screen goes black so I can't see if it goes into the installation mode.

This picture shows where the iMac hangs, the spinning wheel stop after about 1 minutes.

Stuck.Stuck.Stuck ! ! !
    Attached Images Attached Images

NuMackUsr is offline Banned
    Thanks
    This sounds like a faulty Disc Drive. However do take note that you did replace the hard drive. This is not a simple task on a iMac and it is a possibility you could of dislodged a connector or broke one. I suggest you double check and make sure every connector is plugged in and firmly seated.
    Last edited by NuMackUsr; February 28th, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Updated Answer

Thanks
    I have tried using an external DVD drive, also I created an image on a USB stick and USB hard drive using TransMac on a PC. I didn't disconnect the internal DVD drive but used the option key to ensure I booted from the external USB source.

All did exactly the same and only booted to the Apple logo and then froze, would disconnecting the internal DVD make any difference or was this just to confirm that it was not booting from that device?

NuMackUsr is offline Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by prosonman View Post
    I have tried using an external DVD drive, also I created an image on a USB stick and USB hard drive using TransMac on a PC. I didn't disconnect the internal DVD drive but used the option key to ensure I booted from the external USB source.

All did exactly the same and only booted to the Apple logo and then froze, would disconnecting the internal DVD make any difference or was this just to confirm that it was not booting from that device?
    Please read my updated answer above. Also note that you could have damaged a sensor on the logic board by accident and not even know you did. A broken connector (depending on how bad it is damaged) could just be plugged in and secured with tape. However if a sensor is the culprit only fix is taking it to a repair shop. Chances are slim you can replace a sensor yourself.
    Last edited by NuMackUsr; February 28th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast