Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    owaters is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Mac OS9 on Al 1.25 15" PowerBook G4

I have just spoken to Apple on the phone and they have told me that my PowerBook is incapable of running Mac OS9!!!!!! Well, they have said it won't boot from a Mac OS9 CD therefore it cannot be installed.

There must be a work around for this? Anyone?

Zammy-Sam is offline Desertchild
    Thanks
    Try this link to macrumors forum. I didn't read it, but maybe they tell how to "hack" the firmware..
    Good luck!
    iBook 600; 12''; 640mb; 8mb Rage; DVD-CDRW-Combo, 20GB
    P4 1.6; 2x80GB Raid1 (file-server)
    tiBook 1Ghz, Superdrive, 768MB, 64mb 9000, 60GB

Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Zammy-Sam
    Try this link to macrumors forum. I didn't read it, but maybe they tell how to "hack" the firmware..
    Good luck!
    Hmmm, had a read through and doesn't seem to be much help. Thanks anyways though

Does anyone else have any ideas?

fryke is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No. Apple has made sure that you won't use OS 9 on that machine (and all other newer machines). It's not only that the firmware might have some settings that actively disable OS 9 from booting, it's also that OS 9 has not been updated in a while and just doesn't "know" your type of machine. You can't expect a three or four year old operating system to know anything about newer processors, graphics cards, motherboards etc. And even if you _could_ trick your PowerBook into booting the thing (OS 9), you'd still lack drivers for most of its hardware features. That wouldn't exactly make a 'working solution' in my opinion.

1.) Get used to using OS X.
    2.) Use old applications in Classic.
    3.) Replace older applications with newer versions that support OS X or with replacement software that does.
    Mac user since 1987. Running Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" & an iMac 27" and whatever's newest for my iPhone 5s, iPad Air and AppleTV 3.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fryke
    No. Apple has made sure that you won't use OS 9 on that machine (and all other newer machines). It's not only that the firmware might have some settings that actively disable OS 9 from booting, it's also that OS 9 has not been updated in a while and just doesn't "know" your type of machine. You can't expect a three or four year old operating system to know anything about newer processors, graphics cards, motherboards etc. And even if you _could_ trick your PowerBook into booting the thing (OS 9), you'd still lack drivers for most of its hardware features. That wouldn't exactly make a 'working solution' in my opinion.

1.) Get used to using OS X.
    2.) Use old applications in Classic.
    3.) Replace older applications with newer versions that support OS X or with replacement software that does.
    Righto. I am completely used to OSX now, and I only wanted to run classic to play some old games which are not supported in OSX and don't run correctly in Classic. However, it looks like I may as well throw them up on eBay now. Ahh well. Thanks anyways

Randman is offline HA! HA! HA!
    Thanks
    What do you mean they don't work correctly in Classic? What games?
    This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

RacerX is offline Old Rhapsody User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by owaters
    I have just spoken to Apple on the phone...
    That must have been an interesting phone call.

All Apple systems designed and released after January 2003 have been Mac OS X only systems. The only exception was the Dual G4/1.25 which was actually first released in August 2002 which Apple kept selling for a while.

New Apple hardware not working with old Apple operating systems is not a new thing. The only reason for having any over lap period with Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X was to give developers time to get Mac OS X native software out.

I would suggest trading your PowerBook with someone who has a PowerBook G4/1 Ghz (released November of 2002) that is in good condition if you really need Mac OS 9.

A new PowerBook is an expensive item to be buying without knowing what it is you are putting all that money down on.