Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    alexandr is offline kosmonaut
    Thanks

can't delete user account..

i'm having troubles deleting a test-account a set up a while ago. i can't seem to get rid of it, although i've tried to delete it several times on system prefs. i get the message saying alt the content in this user 'home'-filder will be lost, and moved to deleted users-folder.. i press ok, wait a couple of minutes and it seems like it is removing the user. but when the message disappears the user it still there. i've tried restart, and the user is still active..

whats wrong, or what am i doing wrong? the user's got admin rights by the way..

alex.
    * PowerBook G4 1.5 / 1GB ram / os x 10.4.1
    * 23" Apple Cinema HD
    * iSight
    * iPod Video, 60GB, black
    * iPod 4th gen 40GB(for sale - completely new, unuesed, no scratches - just got a new one back from apple- PM me if interested)
    * iPod mini, green

wantlist;
    * PowerMac G5 Quad

www.alex.kosmonautes.com

MDLarson is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Umm, I had this problem before. Some UNIX guru gave me a tip. I think you have to temporarily establish yourself as root (using -sudo or something like that in the Terminal) and delete it via the command line (the Terminal)... I think.

Satcomer is offline In Geostationary Orbit
    Thanks
    Better yet, log out of your Admin's account. Then at the login window click choose "Other" then log in as Root (if you enabled root). This will account will let you delete the user. Just don't do anything harsh or stay in Root long. Root is the ultimate Superuser and changes can't be undone! So once the account is deleted, get out of root!!!
    Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9.1
    2006 Mac Book Pro 2.16 (first Gen) OS X 10.7.5
    2TB Time Capsule, 2 TB
    Black, iPad (3rd Gen) 32G Black

fryke is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't bash me for even bringin' it up, but it's probably a permissions problem. But I don't mean to go to Disk Utility and 'fix permissions'. Rather, you should go to the Terminal and become the owner of said test-account's home folder. That way, Sys Prefs should be able to remove the stuff. It's not _normal_, mind you, Sys Prefs should be able to do it without such hassle, but apparently something's wrong with the permissions of the test account.

So: (Don't type the " in the commands...)

1.) Go to the Terminal and type "sudo -s" and hit enter. It asks you for your password and eventually lets you be 'root' on the shell.

2.) Type "chown -Rf YOURUSERSHORTNAME:YOURUSERSHORTNAME /Users/TESTUSERSHORTNAME/" replacing the names with your user's short name and the test user's short name.

3.) Go to Sys Prefs and try again.
    Mac user since 1987. Running Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" & an iMac 27" and whatever's newest for my iPhone 5s, iPad Air and AppleTV 3.

fryke is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Oh and: I would NOT just delete the files as root, because the system will still think the user's there, which could possibly lead to other problems. Or you'd have to get into NetInfo in order to then remove the user from the system. I would urge you to try the stuff I've said in above message instead. Easier, cleaner for Mac OS X.
    Mac user since 1987. Running Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" & an iMac 27" and whatever's newest for my iPhone 5s, iPad Air and AppleTV 3.

bobw is offline The Late: SuperMacMod
    Thanks
    Not a bad idea to keep a test account.

filthuponyouOSX is offline Registered User
    Thanks

i think i got it

well I looked at this thread and some other forums, and found how easily you can delete users from your Mac.

1. Open terminal
    2. type in "sudo -s"
    3. type in your password
    4. type in "nicl / -delete /users/USERSHORTNAME"
    5. done go see if it works in sys prefs.

Mackey is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Hey, when I type in sudo -s it sais that I am not a sudouser? WTF?
    Can someone help me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast