Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    megimp is offline Registered User
    Thanks

converting MS-ACCESS database files from .mdb to mac osx please?

hello

How do I open, read, and convert .mdb files to an OSX readable format?

Most of my friends with disabilities are still using Win based PC's.

THANK YOU

mdnky is offline [Bobs/Prog/Design:~] mod%
    Thanks
    One way to do it is to open the file on a Win machine with Access installed, then export the tables to 'CSV' or 'SQL dump' files. Take those exported files and import them into your DB (MySQL is a good choice).

As far as a 'helper app' to convert them, there isn't one that I'm aware of that'll run under OS X. The last time I searched for one was a year ago or so, but nothing came up then and I seriously doubt there was a strong demand for such a thing. Access is a bit weird in how it does things, which would probably be a nightmare to have to convert.
    | My Homepage | Restore the Pledge |

MacBook Pro i7 2.66GHz 15" HD matte, 4GB, 500GB 7200RPM, OS X 10.6
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33GHz 15" matte, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 500GB 7200RPM, DL Superdrive, OS X 10.6
    Apple 23" Cinema HD Display, Apple Slim-Alum Keyboard, Apple BT Alum Keyboard, Magic Mouse
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, iPhone 8GB, iPod Nano 16GB, iPod Photo 30GB, Nikon D50, Nikon L6, Epson 3490, Epson R1800, OkiData C5500N

gphillipk is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    If you have MS Office for Mac, couldn't you use Excel to read the data out of the Access db? Unless Excel for Mac is radically different, you ought to be able to design queries in Excel to extract data and save data back into the Access db, without having to convert. But if you need more advanced (relational-db) functionality, I s'pose you ought to convert.
    MB Pro 15" 2.66GHz 4GB 320GB Snow Kitty.4

elander is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gphillipk
    If you have MS Office for Mac, couldn't you use Excel to read the data out of the Access db? Unless Excel for Mac is radically different, you ought to be able to design queries in Excel to extract data and save data back into the Access db, without having to convert. But if you need more advanced (relational-db) functionality, I s'pose you ought to convert.

Excel for Mac isn't radically different, but everything around it is. To run a query from Excel to an Access database, you need something to answer to the query. In this case that would be Access (via ODBC) or some built-in support for Access databases in the operating system (as you get in Windows). Since you don't have either on the Mac, there isn't anything around to respond to the queries.

I've been searching for something similar for years, but I always end up biting the bullet. Just find some poor sod with Windows and Access, and ask him or her to convert your database to something you can use (CSV or SQL dump as suggested earlier).
    /elander

gphillipk is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks for the correction elander. This isn't related to the orig. question, but I'd like to know what would happen if the Access db was located on a computer with Windows and the query was executed from the Mac.
    MB Pro 15" 2.66GHz 4GB 320GB Snow Kitty.4

Thanks

Well, it could work, theoretically...

Quote Originally Posted by gphillipk
    Thanks for the correction elander. This isn't related to the orig. question, but I'd like to know what would happen if the Access db was located on a computer with Windows and the query was executed from the Mac.
    Three caveats that I'm aware of:

1. Setting up ODBC on the Mac is generally a pain in the you-know-what. Making it actually work is even worse.

2. If Microsoft Query is to work, ODBC has to work on the Mac, even when the server is somewhere else. Even when ODBC is set up properly and working on the Mac, Microsoft Query might not.

3. Access isn't based on ODBC, but on Jet, and as far as I am aware, there is no Jet engine for Mac OS X.

If you have Access up and running in Windows, and want to move your data to a Mac, there are two ways that I know of that would work:

1. Dump the data from Access into a file (e.g. CSV or SQL dump), clean it up and import it in your application on the Mac (e.g. Excel or MySQL respectively).

2. Set up Access to connect to MySQL on the Mac, and transfer the database that way. It's not that difficult. Have a look at this page:
    http://www.bullzip.com/products/msa2mys/info.php

[INCESSANT RANT] In conclusion: I hate Access. Really. It's very convenient to use as a stand alone database on your own desktop, much like FileMaker. And just like FileMaker, it's a plague as soon as you want to share the database with others. Mind you, FileMaker used to be at least decent, with built-in web server and all, before they moved all innovating from R&D to the marketing department. MySQL, PostgreSQL or anything else that runs on multiple platforms, and can be accessed over the network should be mandatory these days.[/INCESSANT RANT]
    /elander

mkwan is offline Tech
    Thanks
    one time I was able to setup ODBC connection between PostgreSQL and Microsoft Excel(Query). It was a pain in the @$$, but I got it working. Now, I have to do it all over again since I upgraded to Tiger
    mkwan

UNIX was created in the late 1960s, in an effort to provide a multiuser, multitasking system for use by programmers. The philosophy behind the design of UNIX was to provide simple, yet powerful utilities that could be pieced together in a flexible manner to perform a wide variety of tasks.

Thanks

Please post a HOW TO...

If you get that Microsoft Query <-> PostgreSQL thing working again, please post a HOW TO on this forum. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it!

If you can, try to make it a "combo HOW TO", with instrucions on how to get it working with MySQL too. That would probably be even more appreciated. If you don't have the time, just drop a few lines about how you did the pgsql thing, and I'll try to take it from there and do a MySQL version.
    /elander

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast