Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    monktus is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Mac compatible wireless adapters

I'm upgrading my Linksys modem/router and the wireless adapter for my girlfriend's iBook and could do with some recommendations. I'm currently using an old Belkin 802.11b USB adapter and I'd recently bought a Linksys modem and adapter bundle that was on offer, however no Mac drivers for the adapter. There's no mention of Mac compatibility on Belkin's site for their new G and G+ adapters and couldn't find anything for D-Link or Netgear either.

Can you still get Mac compatible wireless adapters or I'm I better going for an Airport card? The price had put me off however I found some cheap ones on eBay, the only thing is that PC World (I know but bear with me) has some good offers on routers and adapters. I suppose I could always just sell the spare adapter if I bought one.

Anyway, just wanted to see what other people's experiences are.

Cheers,
    Craig
    MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.1
    PowerMac G4 800
    "...And The Dogcow Went Moof".

powermac is offline iMac Dual 2.0 17'
    Thanks
    I would believe you are always going to be better off with a Airport Card, simply because support for it will never be in question. Although there is support for third party cards at
    http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/wirelessformac.html

nixgeek is offline Mac of the SubGenius! :-)
    Thanks
    You could also check this list to see which cards are compatible with the Mac. Remember that the latest Airport software will work with any third party cards that have the same Broadcom chipset as the Airport Extreme.

http://home.earthlink.net/~metaphyzx/Wireless.htm
    Apple iMac G5 17" (2 GHz G5) - Mac OS X 10.5.8/Ubuntu 10.04
    Asus Eee PC 901 (1.6 GHz Atom N270) - Fedora 13
    Apple Macintosh Quadra 650 (33 MHz MC68040) - Mac OS 8.1
    "JHVH-1" (2 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2400+) - Slackware 13.1

bobw is offline The Late: SuperMacMod
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks guys. I checked out that list and the few USB adapters on it all seem to be 802.11b so I think I'll just go for the Airport card.
    MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.1
    PowerMac G4 800

BoneFill is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I'm now using a Linksys WUSB54G V.4 which is working really great it has a Ralink chipset you can find more info about devices using Ralink at http://61.222.76.235/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=3 (Ralink's forum).

As mine, some devices are a bit tricky but nothing too cmplex to fix, once you get them working you never care abot it again.
    A Camel Filters box : Bic Lighter : some Coca-Cola (AKA: Coke) bottles : lots of mini Hershey's : cleaning tissue (for my glasses) : Camel ash tray : wooden ash tray : Cool Mint Listerine tablets : oh yeah, a Mac and design stuff

Thanks
    That's good to know. Does the speedbooster stuff make much of a difference with the Linksys adapter? I was reading some of the threads on that forum and the drive seems a bit unstable, how have you found it? It would be cheaper for me to get the Linksys (or a D-Link) wireless kit than a new router and an airport card but I wanted to see if there was any speed increase and if it was worth the hassle.
    MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.1
    PowerMac G4 800

BoneFill is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Well I'm on a first floor and the router is 4 floors above and really wide walls (this is an oooold building), like 15 meters (49ft ?), I have 98% signal strength at day and 100% at night... the link quality is at 100% all day , both %s much better than on my iBook's Airport Card. I must tell that the router is not that good, still I don't have any connection problems.

There are people complaining about the driver stability but you'll find complains about almost anything these days most of them are user's fault. What I can tell is that my only problem is (as you can read at Ralinks forum) that I have a conflict with Photoshop and some USB devices.

I came to this device because my brother surprised me with a SMC wireless device which was a piece of crap (jut don't tell him), I was googling for an Atheros chipset driver which does not exist by the way, and came to Ralink site (Ralink RT2500 chipsets based wireless 802.11g devices) which stands that some Linksys devices had a RT2500 chipset and they had a Mac driver so I returned the SMC and changed for the Linksys WUSB54G (RT2500 chipset) without knowing if it would work or not... As you can see, it works and I'm happy with it.

The rest of the story is at Ralink's forum whith a How-to make it work.
    A Camel Filters box : Bic Lighter : some Coca-Cola (AKA: Coke) bottles : lots of mini Hershey's : cleaning tissue (for my glasses) : Camel ash tray : wooden ash tray : Cool Mint Listerine tablets : oh yeah, a Mac and design stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast