Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
Register
    Red_beardo is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Red face Long and interesting but harmless Terminal script

Hi,

I was mucking around with Maven for Eclipse the other day, working on an audio visual project and I was struck by how cool the terminal executing massive amounts of commands is.

I have an odd request. I was wondering if people knew of a terminal script that outputed a lot of data, ideally varied and interesting data (not just text), but which didn't really do anything to one's computer.

I would ideally use this as a live video filter in my VJ work - or alternatively try and screen record the resulting output.

What would infact be even better, is if I could somehow create a screen grab of each new line outputed in terminal then comp those individual screen grabs into a movie file.

Strange request I realise - but any help in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Mikuro is offline Crotchety UI Nitpicker
    Thanks
    Perhaps something along the lines of:
    Code:
    find /System -type f -print0 | xargs -0 cat
    That will output the contents of every file in your System folder. Just remember that you can stop it by pressing Control-C.

You could fine-tune the criteria of the find command to select only certain kinds of files, and of course you could point it to any directory you want.
    Mac mini 1.25GHz G4, 1GB RAM OS 10.5.8
    MacBook Pro 2.26GHz C2D, 8GB RAM OS 10.6.8

Useful programs: Privoxy, Butler, ffmpegX, VLC, Perian, Tofu, Wcalc

Red_beardo is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Brilliant, that's exactly the type of thing I was going for thanks very much