April 22nd, 2012, 04:46 AM #1
Opening MPEG/VCD/PAL files on Mac
I have taken a job editing subtitles. The company uses Windows, I use Macs. I have a 2011 iMac running Mac OS 10.7.3.
Last night I was sent my first assignment, a subtitles file and 10 parts of one total TV series. They have been translated from the original language and I am to watch the film while fixing things using an src file. I found a program for opening the src file, no problem, but now cannot get the film to play.
Ten files were sent in an email to me. I downloaded the first:
1. I downloaded it, and used "The Unarchiver.app" to open it.
2. In the "Get info" box of the mpg file, the file name is given as "MuhtesemYY_MPEG1_VCD_PAL.mpg"
3. Get info" says to open with Quicktime Player.app.,
4. When I open it wlth Quick Time Player, I get "The file MuhtesemYY_MPEG1_VCD_PAL.mpg could not be opened," but not reason is given.
5. When I try to run it in VLC, I get nothing, and a small yellow triangle in the left hand column.
Any help you could offer would be deeply appreciated.
Last edited by plainzebra; April 22nd, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Reason: more precision needed
April 22nd, 2012, 08:58 AM #2
As a first attempt, download and install the free Perian QuickTime codec. Then try again.
April 22nd, 2012, 09:56 AM #3
Thanks, I'll try that and letyou know how it goes
April 22nd, 2012, 10:07 AM #4
It seems that the trouble is at the .rar extraction phase. It extracts the file but then says it could not for an "unknown error."
April 22nd, 2012, 10:59 AM #5
The file name (http://www.nameofcompany.com/files/g...PAL.part01.rar) implies, that it is only first of splitted rar archive. You have to have all the files in the same place, so that you can unarchive the files.
You might also like to check VLC or MPlayer for the video files.
Tags for this Thread