Can't select destination volume to install Mac OS X software

KHefner

Registered
I am trying to reinstall OS X 10.3.9 on my G5 iMac. I get through the first steps on Installation Disk 1 up until "Select Destination Volume." I can't select a destination volume to install the Mac OS X software; there are no options (except back).

I recently had a new hard drive installed at Best Buy (WD SATA 320GB internal hard drive). The hard drive is recognized when I run Disk Utility but I cannot select "Verify Disk" or any of the other options.

I'm wondering if the problem is with the hard drive? I'm reading the hard drive box now and it says it's compatible with OS but doesn't say anything about OS X. They wanted to charge me $150 to install software so I'd like to figure it out myself if anyone is willing to help me. I'm sure I forgot to include necessary specifics so please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Kaitlin
:(

Perhaps it's not partitioned for use on that iMac yet. Go to Disk Utility, select the drive (not any volumes on it) and hit the partitioning tab. There create as one volume with APT as the partitioning scheme (Apple Partitioning Scheme or something like that) and give the volume the name "Macintosh HD". After that's done, the volume should be created and available for installation when you quit Disk Utility.

This was a known issue in 10.3 (where installation volumes don't show up via the "Installer" program)... try hitting the "Back" button, then go forward again.

fryke, thanks for your suggestions. I followed your instructions. Now the volume shows up but it has a red octagon with the exclamation point in it now! "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume." (For example see attached img.)

ElDiablo, tried hitting back numerous times then going forward. Also tried restarting.

I'm kind of stuck! Thanks for everyone's help though!

Attachments

• 0105091959.jpg
    0105091959.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
hi satcomer
that does not make sense, sorry.

if it was too full then it would SAY, there is not enough room on this disk to install.

The disk is completely erased, except for some minor KB files - and shows up in disk utility, but is grayed out and will not allow mounting...

DId you read the issue before replying? ARE you familiar with Mac? I have 27 yrs experience, was certified on Mac, and never encountered this problem. Would love some expertise if at all possible from someone- please help! The repairs cost more than the computer is worth! I have a new hard drive, but gosh it's an all day job and requires disassembling the entire computer...

hi satcomer
that does not make sense, sorry.

if it was too full then it would SAY, there is not enough room on this disk to install.

The disk is completely erased, except for some minor KB files - and shows up in disk utility, but is grayed out and will not allow mounting...

DId you read the issue before replying? ARE you familiar with Mac? I have 27 yrs experience, was certified on Mac, and never encountered this problem. Would love some expertise if at all possible from someone- please help! The repairs cost more than the computer is worth! I have a new hard drive, but gosh it's an all day job and requires disassembling the entire computer...

Yes I have used Macs almost since they were first introduced. Did you use the install disk and then before the install process first button push and go to the menu items to find "Disk Utility" to see if it can fix your internal disk?

Now all hard drives WILL fail! That is a fact of life so you better lern how to replace an internal hard drive. Places like IFixIt.com and OWC videos will show how to replace a hard drive.

Obviously I already know how to replace a hard drive... DUH. I was looking for some suggestions as to what might be WRONG that I can FIX before I replace it.

Once again, did you even READ THE POSTS? Like I said already, I have had a Mac since they were just "Apple" 27 yrs ago !!! and Very plainly, in black and white - my last posts clearly states:
"I have a new hard drive, but gosh it's an all day job and requires disassembling the entire computer..."

So, gee, knowing that it will be a strenuous task, should show that I am familiar with replacing hard drives!

For goodness sakes, PLEASE please PLEASE stop replying if you are only going to belittle yourself, and make stupid nonsense comments!!!!

I am looking for real help here!! NOT some jerk who has nothing better to do than to insult users, and make his self look like a total moron.

You better "lern" some internet etiquette before posting another reply. I am sick of logging in here, and wasting my time, when it says I have a reply- just to see this B.S.

Good day

Oh and BTW
For those of you reading this, and willing to help me, yes I tried numerous ways to use disk utility. I tried before selecting anything, I tried after, I tried in the middle. Sometimes the disk will come up with the red exclamation mark- sometimes it is just blank. But it always shows the disk in the DU menu, and it gives me the option to mount it but will not complete.

The logs say unable to mount, the fsck does not repair or find any other disk than the install disk.

any suggestions, please let me know- I am at my wits end.

I had a similar problem. Hard drive went out on iBook G4 12. I install new hard drive from OWC. Couldn't get pass the select drive screen during Tiger install. I did what everyone suggested...hitting 'back', erasing the drive, reformatting the drive, and still nothing. Finally I decided to give Leopard a try (not Snow Leopard) and it worked! Leopard recognized the drive and am installing as of now! Good luck.

hey maclori!

For someone who is new to the site and has only made 4 posts, i would say
that based on your pompous attitude and you acting like an all around jerk
that it is YOU who should "lern" some internet etiquette, because you come
across as a very rude and ill mannered person with your ranting diatribe
towards Satcomer, who is extremely knowledgable when it comes to apple
computers and troubleshooting computers in general.

Obviously I already know how to replace a hard drive... DUH. I was looking for some suggestions as to what might be WRONG that I can FIX before I replace it.

Once again, did you even READ THE POSTS? Like I said already, I have had a Mac since they were just "Apple" 27 yrs ago !!! and Very plainly, in black and white - my last posts clearly states:
"I have a new hard drive, but gosh it's an all day job and requires disassembling the entire computer..."

So, gee, knowing that it will be a strenuous task, should show that I am familiar with replacing hard drives!

For goodness sakes, PLEASE please PLEASE stop replying if you are only going to belittle yourself, and make stupid nonsense comments!!!!

I am looking for real help here!! NOT some jerk who has nothing better to do than to insult users, and make his self look like a total moron.

You better "lern" some internet etiquette before posting another reply. I am sick of logging in here, and wasting my time, when it says I have a reply- just to see this B.S.

Good day

i just noticed - March 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM.......

LOL! Looks like she did not stick around - good to see that!!!!

Yeah! Nothing like wasting a good and just flame on a
exclamation.gif
thread.

--J.D.

Hi,
I'm new in the forum and I have the same problem. It all started with flashing folder with a question mark at the beginning after forced-restarting.
I tried fixing the problem using my leopard upgrade CD but ir kept me asking to restart the computer. I decided using the original tiger OS and I got stuck where there is not volume to be chosen. The partioning suggestion failed due to privilage issues but I'm the administrator. So I'm stuck here... Please help, I have to get my homework done ASAP...

Hi to you all.

I have the same symptom. I have an iMac with Mac OS 10.5.6. I try to upgrade to Snow Leopard but when I should choose where to install I select my standard "Mac HD", but it has one yellow exclamation mark and it gives me an error message saying "cant boot from this disk".

Strange since this is my standard boot disk and I have not changed any HD, I havent opened my iMac.

I have disconnected my USB drives.

I really appreciate any help, thanks!

Hi

I bought the install disk at a Apple Premium reseller. The DVD disk is white 10.6.3. The HD disk in the install window is "normal" not grey or black, more grey (see attached picture). Its in Swedish, but it says aprox: "Can not install on Mac HD because you cant start the computer from this disk". But thats wrong since thats my original standard HD. The iMac is an Intel, see below:

Modellnamn: iMac
Modellidentifierare: iMac7,1
Processornamn: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processorhastighet: 2.8 GHz
Antal processorer: 1
Totalt antal kärnor: 2
L2-cache: 4 MB
Minne: 4 GB
Busshastighet: 800 MHz
Boot ROM-version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC-version (system): 1.21f4

7rn01t

Perhaps you get that error (cannot start from this disk) because the hard drive has been reformatted at some point to an improper partition scheme. Your iMac can boot from a hard drive that is formatted with the older APM (Apple Partition Map), if you still have 10.5. You CANNOT boot Snow Leopard from an APM formatted hard drive. It must be formatted GUID to upgrade to Snow Leopard. You need to verify that format on your hard drive by checking in your System Profiler, then the Serial-ATA tab. The Partition Map Type must be GPT (GUID Partition Table). If it is not - you will need to back up the hard drive, and redo the partition for the GUID partition scheme.

Back