Extended Display Mode

Felix Misch

Registered
Hello,

I am new to OSX. I am on my new (to me) Quicksilver G4, running Panther.

I just hooked up two monitors. Both are VGA - the second is connected to the ADC port via a Griffin Tech, ADC to VGA converter.

The system came up in "Mirror Mode". When I went to "System Preferences - Display" there was no option to switch to "Extended Display Mode". The only options I was given (in the oblong, mid to top of the page box) were "Display" (resolution) and "Color" (which had display profilrs only). The "Mac OSX Bible" shows me that there should be another tab between "Display" and "Color" that says "Geometry". That is the button that should get me into "Extended Display Mode".

That button is simply not there!!!!!!!!!

HELP??????? What is up?????

A significant portion of my choice to upgrade (I was a happy OS 9.2.2 user on a G3) was the dual monitor capability without the loss of a PCI slot (all my PCI slots are full of ProTools hardware).

Thanks,

Felix Misch

Geometry will only be there if you're using a Macintosh with a built-in display, or you're using a monitor that supports those features. Most monitors have the controls that would have been under "Geometry" right on the monitor, negating the need for a "Geometry" pane.

Look on the MAIN monitor under the Display preferences (the secondary monitor will only have "Display" and "Color" panes). There should be a pane entitled "Arrangement" and under there you can select to either mirror the displays, or not, which would give you an extended display across two monitors.

Now, before any of this, what kind of video card are you using? Just because a video card has more than one video connector on the back doesn't mean that it will support two monitors at the same time, much less be able to use them in extended display mode. Are you sure your card supports dual-displays?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Geometry will only be there if you're using a Macintosh with a built-in display, or you're using a monitor that supports those features. Most monitors have the controls that would have been under "Geometry" right on the monitor, negating the need for a "Geometry" pane.

Look on the MAIN monitor under the Display preferences (the secondary monitor will only have "Display" and "Color" panes). There should be a pane entitled "Arrangement" and under there you can select to either mirror the displays, or not, which would give you an extended display across two monitors.

Now, before any of this, what kind of video card are you using? Just because a video card has more than one video connector on the back doesn't mean that it will support two monitors at the same time, much less be able to use them in extended display mode. Are you sure your card supports dual-displays?

Thank you for your reply.
My AGP Video Card is a Rage 128 Pro. I thought it did support two monitors in extended display mode. Am I wrong?

Thank you for your time and efforts. I'm really concerned here, as one of the main reasons I got this computer (I was a happy OS 9.2.2, G3 user) was its 2 monitor capability without using up a PCI slot (all mt PCI slots are filled with ProTools recording cards).

Felix Misch

Felix Misch said:
Thank you for your reply.
My AGP Video Card is a Rage 128 Pro. I thought it did support two monitors in extended display mode. Am I wrong?

Thank you for your time and efforts. I'm really concerned here, as one of the main reasons I got this computer (I was a happy OS 9.2.2, G3 user) was its 2 monitor capability without using up a PCI slot (all mt PCI slots are filled with ProTools recording cards).

Felix Misch

PS: I double and triple checked the display preferences per your suggestions (as I did all last night). There is no place I can find that shows "main" or "Secondary" monitor. There is simply not an "Arrangement" nor a "Geometry" button anywhere! I'm beginning to think I was mislead when I was told this computer had dual monitor support.

Thanks again for your continued help.

Felix

Unfortunately, the Rage 128 Pro does not support dual-monitors -- not even in mirrored mode, I believe, so running the card that way would probably not be a wise idea. There are plenty of aftermarket cards for around $150 that do support dual-monitors, though, so it may be time to upgrade the card.

Back