External cd burner won't work

sadie.king

Registered
I am new to this so have just put all the technical infomation I could find on the relevant bits that might be helpful at the end of this post.

I recently bought an emac g4 on mac osx 10.3.4. Previous to that I bought a Lacie external cd writer to go with my older mac.

But on the new one when I try to burn cds, it automatically tries to do it on the internal CD burner, even if there is no blank cd in the internal but there is in the external.

Am I able to get it to burn to the external lacie, which is faster, instead of keep defaulting back to the internal writer? Or is there no point in me having the external burner? Surely there must be a way?!

Machine Model: eMac
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz

Lacie 1394 external firewire CD reader / writer (speed: 52x24x52)
Model: LaCie 1394 CDRW drive LUN 0.
Drive Type: CD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed
Unit Spec Id: 24734
Unit Software Version: 10483
Firmware Revision: 6S0A

Thanks for any help recieved,
Sadie

What software are you using to burn the CDs? If you are using the Finder, make sure you go into Control Panels and tell the system to mount the blank CD on your desktop. That way the system will always know where the disc is. If you are using TOAST, you can change what burner it will us by clicking on the burner name in the lower left corner of the Burner window, near the RED burn button.

Welcome to the forum, Sadie.
Good hints baggss gave you. Just to make sure, you plugged the external drive correctly: are you able to open any data / music CD from that drive? If so, follow baggss instructions and it should work.

Thanks, I can play music cds and read data cds form my external
and am using toast, so will give it a go tonight when I get home from work.

cheers.

If you're using Toast 6, then you can select which recorder to use via the green button with the little while arrow next to the large red/blue circular button in the lower right-hand corner.

Back