Firefox: HINDI font not loading at all.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X System & Mac Software' started by amoleji, Apr 13, 2007.

1. amoleji

amoleji Registered

Hello.

Whenever there is a sanskrit or a Hindi font, firefox fails to load it.
    For example in BBC. i am able to see arabic korean and other scripts, how ever only the hindi font is not working.

so far this is what i have done
    1. installed the very latest version of firefox
    2. installed the font used by BBC and Wikipedia. (please note: all other fonts from these two websites load except hindi)
    3. I am NOT facing this problem in safari.

BBC Hindi :- www.bbchindi.com

PLease advise.

Thank you
    Nav

2. MisterMe

MisterMe Registered

University Professor
    The correct link is http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/.

You are correct in that the release version of Firefox, Firefox 2.0.0.3, cannot load the Hindi fonts. However, Safari handles them just fine. If you prefer a Gecko-based browser, then Camino also has no problems with BBCHindi.com's Hindi fonts. For Firefox, a solution exists. It is not included in the release version, but the Minefield nightlies handle Hindi fonts with aplumb.

3. srailkar

srailkar Registered

I was able to use browser Opera to read Hindi.
    I am also trying to find out which Hindi fonts that Firefox will need to be able to show Hindi words properly. If I find something will let you know. But till then if you want you can try Opera current version. The browser was very fast too.
    Regards.

4. MisterMe

MisterMe Registered

University Professor
    If any browser on your system displays the BBC Hindi site properly, then you have the proper fonts installed. If I remember correctly, then the BBC site uses downloadable fonts. This is not a fonts issue, per se. It is an issue with Firefox 2.0.0.13 and earlier versions of Firefox. These versions of Firefox do not handle BBC Hindi's downloadable fonts properly. Safari 3.1, Opera, and the beta releases of Firefox 3.0 handle downloadable fonts just fine.