HELP!PAYPAL and iTMS NOT WORKING!

MnM

Registered
Hi I have a problem in setting up my paypal account with the itunes music store. I have a powermac g5, the lastest versions of Tiger 10.4.3,iTunes 6.0.1(3), Safari 2.0.2 (416.13), and Firefox(1.5). My Paypal account is active, has money and is set up with my checking account in which I have made multiple purchases in the past on eBay.

Im sorry this problem is so long, I really need help and I am just trying to be as clear as possible and give as much background as possible to anyone willing to help. Thank you, any help is appreciated.

Below are e-mails I sent out to the apple support site and their response. I also called the apple technical support number about 3 times. Both could not solve my problem. I figure I will post it all so you guys get a clear picture.

This was my first problem:
I can not setup my itunes account to use paypal. When I try, itunes takes me to the paypal site to log in to pay. it gives me two options.
1) Don't have a paypal account?
2) Have a paypal account?

Under the option that says "Have a Paypal account?" it also says "Login now to pay with your credit card, bank account, or PayPal balance." NOTICE IT SAYS PAYPAL BALANCE.

here is a screen shot of it: http://idisk.mac.com/kakar0tt/Public/paypal1.jpg

I have a paypal account, so I choose that option and log in and agree to the terms.

Now this is my question. WHERE IS MY OPTION TO PAY WITH MY PAYPAL BALANCE??

Once Logged in there is no where for me to select my paypal balance to pay, or my bank account. All it has is "Add Credit or Debit Card"

here is a screen shot of it : http://idisk.mac.com/kakar0tt/Public/paypal2.jpg

This is the response from the iTunes support team:
Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

To create a new iTunes Music Store account using PayPal or to change your current account to use PayPal as your method of payment, please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Verify that you have an active network connection and open iTunes.
2. Click “Music Store” from the Source list.
3. Click on the Account button in the upper right corner. The Account field will either display your iTunes Music Store Account ID or “Sign In.”
4. Enter the account name and password of the iTunes Music Store account or select “Create New Account.”
5. On the Billing Information screen, select "PayPal" as your method of payment.
6. On the PayPal website, you may select a bank account or credit card as a payment method for your new PayPal account.
7. Click the link “To validate your PayPal account...” located directly under the payment options, you will be directed to the PayPal website.
8. Sign in to PayPal with your account information.
9. Review and agree to the Billing Agreement.
10. Important step! - Click "Return to Merchant" to return to the iTunes Music Store (do not close your browser without clicking this link).
11. Finish creating your iTunes Music Store account.

If you continue to experience difficulties, please try following these steps again using a different web browser.

Sincerely,

iTunes Music Store Support

This was my second problem:

Hi as you can see below, I contacted the iTunes music store about a problem and was given a solution. My solution DID NOT work so I am replying so you can see my problem and the solution. I will now tell you which part of the solution did not work.

Every Step went well except step 10 which states:

10. Important step! - Click "Return to Merchant" to return to the iTunes Music Store (do not close your browser without clicking this link).

After I complete step 9, I came to this page:
http://idisk.mac.com/kakar0tt/Public/paypal4.jpg
http://idisk.mac.com/kakar0tt/Public/paypal5.jpg

Notice I DO NOT have a "Return To Merchant" anywhere on this page.
above are 2 screen shots showing that. There are two so you can see when I scroll all the way up and all the way down.

The only part of the site I notice a "Return To Merchant" was at the very beginning after I click verify in iTunes and it takes me to the paypal site ( step 7) which states: Click the link “To validate your PayPal account...” located directly under the payment options, you will be directed to the PayPal website. ).

Bottom left hand corner you can see "Return To Merchant":
http://idisk.mac.com/kakar0tt/Public/paypal3.jpg

However when I type in my user name and password and click "Return To Merchant" instead of Log in, I get a error from the itunes music store saying my attempt was unsuccessful. When I click log in I do not see a return to merchant anywhere ( as stated above and shown in screenshots paypal4.jpg and paypal5.jpg)

The final part of my solution states: If you continue to experience difficulties, please try following these steps again using a different web browser.

Notice from the screen shots, that this time around I am using Firefox(web browser). Last time(where i initially stated my problem) I used Safari. My Safari and My Firefox are the most up to date versions. I also have the latest version of iTunes (6.0.1(3)) as well as the latest version of Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.3)

I'd appreciate any help and thank you for your time.

This is my second response:
Dear Ryan,

Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

The error you describe may be caused by the presence of web acceleration or firewall software. While the iTunes Music Store is unable to provide technical support, we can recommend that you either test your connection to the iTunes Music Store without the presence of this software or configure your system to allow access to the Music Store's address.

This is my plea to macOsX.com
As you can see... no problem solved . I tried this on a windows machine whose firewall and internet settings were fine and it still did not work. I used both firefox and internet explorer. I later had a friend(has a powerbook) try it, and still did not work.

Three varing internet / firewall settings, three diffferent ISPs, two different platforms, 3 different browsers, all having no web exceleration programs and all loads the sites except a link is missing(return to merchant). THIS CAN NOT BE A FIREWALL OR INTERNET PROBLEM. Help please. If anyone knows how to set this up please help. You can respond to this or e-mail me at kakar0tt@mac.com.
note: I performed a search in previous forums and did not find anything that could help me.

Thanks in advance for any help / advise
- Ryan

It seems fairly obvious that it's a paypal issue.

I've just set up my iTunes account to bill via PayPal. I didn't get the error you're getting. I'd go ahead and reenter your payment details as if you were setting your PayPal account up again. Once you've confirmed your primary funding source, it will move on.

It won't cost you anything to add your credit card or bank account again, so what can it hurt?

Back