How do I change the system administrator to ME??

blackbelt135

Registered
So I just got a new computer that's been passed down by a previous designer. However, the previous designer is the system administrator. What can I do to remove him, or at least just make him another user and make me the system administrator?

I'm using a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 with Mac OS X Version 10.4.10

Just so you all know, I'm no IT guy, I'm a designer. In other words, try and keep this simple. haha.

Thanks guys.

You don't need to change the system administrator to you. You need to add administrative privileges to your account. To do this:
  1. Logout your account.
  2. Login to one of the computer's administrative accounts.
  3. Launch System Preferences.
  4. Click the Accounts preferences pane.
  5. Click your account in the Login Options sidebar.
  6. Click the padlock to open it. This will require the administrative account's password.
  7. Have the Password tab selected.
  8. Check Allow user to administer this computer
  9. Click the padlock to lock it.
  10. Logout.
  11. Login to your account.
  12. Launch System Preferences.
  13. Use the Accounts preferences pane to delete the old administrative account.

With hand-me-down computers, I would always suggest clean-reinstalling the entire system (erase hard drive, install OS X)... that way, everything on the hard drive is yours, and nothing is left over from the previous owner.

If you want to prevent the old user from having access, either remove him/her, disable him/her or change the users password to 1 you only know. Otherwise he can mess around when you do not expect.

Clean install ofcourse will remove everything (including all users and their access permissions) related to the OS, the bet way to go ...

Good luck, Kees

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try these things today. (Also, I don't have to worry about the other guy because he's half way across the country now. lol) Anyway, the only reason why I want to be the administrator is because for certain updates and installs I need at least the admin's password. Even that I don't have. :-\

Back