Icons get stuck to the pointer

jasfa131

The Lone Deranger
Occassionally if I click an icon (usually on my desktop) it'll just "stick" to my mouse pointer, it'll appear as if I am still clicking and holding the icon, and it drags around. I also can't trash, drop or do anything with it. Other programs on the computer can't be used either because it's still using that icon. I'm forced to use keyboard commands to restart Finder... which works until I click any other icon again.

What's going on?

How about a 3rd party app or utility that affects the cursor/mouse control?

Have you opened your System Preferences/Universal Access, then made sure all options are turned off in Keyboard and mouse settings. I'm not sure what effect Sticky Keys, or Slow Keys would have on your situation, for example. Best to make sure those are turned off.

Occassionally if I click an icon (usually on my desktop) it'll just "stick" to my mouse pointer, it'll appear as if I am still clicking and holding the icon, and it drags around. I also can't trash, drop or do anything with it. Other programs on the computer can't be used either because it's still using that icon. I'm forced to use keyboard commands to restart Finder... which works until I click any other icon again.

What's going on?

What did you do?!!!! I never had heard of this problem before. What does the logs say (/Applications/Utilities/Console)?

What did you do?!!!! I never had heard of this problem before. What does the logs say (/Applications/Utilities/Console)?

Once in a while this happens to me on my MacBook, but it fixes it self after clicking a couple of times (probably just stuck).

Well, it went away after I restarted my iMac. I have no idea what caused it; I have no 3rd party apps affecting the keyboard or mouse.

Stuck clicker. I find it happens--on a Macbook--if I lean too much on the side panels. I do not have the "uni-body" versions, so your mileage may vary.

--J.D.

Actually, after doing some tinkering, I think it has something to do with me using a Logitech mouse with a scroll wheel. When the icon "sticks" to the pointer... I just click the scroll wheel and then it drops the icon and doesn't pick it up anymore. Must be a bug with logitech bluetooth mice with scroll wheels.

If you are using the Logitech software, then you may not know if it's been updated for use with Lion, eh?
Try uninstalling the Logitech software.
Or, maybe it's simply a new feature in the standard mouse driver for Lion.
I doubt anyone here could tell you for sure on that one because of the NDAs still in effect for Lion.

Back