Install OS X on an old PPC 8600/300?

Matsaki

Registered
I have an old 8600/300 not used for many years, but still working though :)

Now I want to do some wed audio streaming with Nicecast from this machine. The good thing with the 8600/300 is that it have all the A/V connections.

BUT Will I be able to install any kind of OS X on the machine as the Nicecast only works with OS X.

Do you think my good old 8600/300 will handle OS X and Nicecast by the way?

Thanks!

Thanks Bro,
What OS X do you recommend to make it run smoothly on the old Machine?

Do you have aclue if the Machine have enough CPU to handle OS X with Nicecast running on it?

It's running ok on my old PB G3 Pizmo 333MHz with OS X 10.3.9.

I'd probably try 10.2 on it. Don't have any idea how it will run Nicecast.

XPostFacto will allow you to install OS X on that machine (I recommend 10.3 over 10.2, though -- more "modern" and barely any slower), but the A/V ports on the computer may not work... I've had trouble getting the A/V ports on my 7600 (400Mz G3 upgrade) working under both Panther and Tiger.

The documentation on XPostFacto states that G3 A/V "Personality" cards don't work, but mentions nothing about A/V ports on older PowerPC computers... from what I gather, they should work fine, but don't be surprised if they don't! ;)

Arrgghh, I only have a 10.3 Panther DVD. Can i some how make it into the 3 disc CD's as the 8600 only have a CD reader?

(Nicecast require minimum OS X 10.3)

10.3 came on dvds? i guess i was just lucky, i got it off ebay and it came on cds. as far as os x on the 8600, i was running 10.2.8 on mine just fine. the audio out to my stereo worked fine, but it seems to me that the audio in did not. the video ports don't work at all. of course i was using an older version of xpostfacto. as far as what works, go here -->http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm?page=Compatibility.html
btw, i started useing os x with 10.1.5 on my 7500. once i got 10.2, i never went back to os 9. it was a little slow, but looked better, and was more stable, even on the old powermacs, imo.

Back