iPhoto Doubles

SNurferGuy25

Registered
Hi, I've ran into a space deficit due to the space taken up by the iPhoto doubles on my computer. I went to a Mac genius bar recently to ask them about how iPhoto imports pictures and they explained to me how there is only one file when it imports directly from a picture device but when it imports from files on the hard drive this creates two files and they are both required to view the pictures in iPhoto. They said that the best way to solve this is to load the pictures back onto the camera memory card and then re-import them into iPhoto.
I tried to do this yesterday and ran into problems. I was able to get them onto the card alright but then when I tried to import into iphoto they were not recognized on the card. Its not the same camera as the one they were originally taken on (and I'm unable to acquire the camera and card they initially came from due to extenuating circumstances), is it possible that this would create a problem? The camera I am using is a Fujifilm FinePix A400 and the memory card is an Olympus xD-Picture Card with 512MB. I have 2 other cameras that I can use if this one is not adequate. I've got about 1,700 pictures that are taking up double space and it would be great if I could fix this problem. Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated

If you have the same photos in the iPhoto library as are in a file outside of the iPhoto library (for instance, just in your "Pictures" folder, then you can delete the ones in the "Pictures" folder. The only thing that iPhoto duplicates that it needs to work are the "modified" versions of your original photos. iPhoto keeps the originals so that you can, at any time, go back to a completely unedited version and start over. So, you have "originals", "modified" and then the thumbnails iPhoto needs to be able to show you.

So, if you have photos in a folder in your user's library that are duplicates of the photos in the iPhoto library, you can delete them and be fine. Does that address your problem? Or are you saying you have duplicates in the iPhoto library? That is another issue. If there are duplicates in your iPhoto library, and if you are NOT running Leopard, you can use an app like iPhoto Diet to delete duplicates. Unfortunately, however, the app is not usable on Leopard.

If you have the same photos in the iPhoto library as are in a file outside of the iPhoto library (for instance, just in your "Pictures" folder, then you can delete the ones in the "Pictures" folder. The only thing that iPhoto duplicates that it needs to work are the "modified" versions of your original photos. iPhoto keeps the originals so that you can, at any time, go back to a completely unedited version and start over. So, you have "originals", "modified" and then the thumbnails iPhoto needs to be able to show you.

So, if you have photos in a folder in your user's library that are duplicates of the photos in the iPhoto library, you can delete them and be fine. Does that address your problem? Or are you saying you have duplicates in the iPhoto library? That is another issue. If there are duplicates in your iPhoto library, and if you are NOT running Leopard, you can use an app like iPhoto Diet to delete duplicates. Unfortunately, however, the app is not usable on Leopard.

Hi there

I have similar questions on this iPhoto duplication. I had some photos saved on my HD and imported them, my understanding is that it keeps all of them in the 'originals' folder, a 'modified' for any that's been edited and another folder for thumbnails?? Correct me if my concept is wrong here....

Well after importing the photos to iPhoto I made some changes to the ones on HD,mainly adding more into the organised folders I created, I thought I'd re-import surely iPhoto will know which ones has been imported and which ones not. However it seems iPhoto only recognised a few of the duplicates and ended up importing the same event...any ideas as to why this happens? Those photos were taken by different models of cameras and my iPhone.

I've noticed there are some photos in my 'modified' folder already even though I have not edited any. They have the same 'date&time created' and 'date&time modified' info on them, looks like they went straight to the 'modified' folder when imported?

I'm quite confused with the duplicates and certainly don't want to have more copies than I need as I've already deleted my original photos folder on HD and is solely relying on iPhoto library now.

Thanks

Back