iPod Nano Can Hold Music Videos???

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I just updated my iPod software ... and now I notice there's a playlist on the display that says "Music Videos." I swear it wasn't there before. So I'm guessing the new iPod software now allows Nanos to download music videos? Is this correct?

More likely that it just plays the audio from the videos.

The only way to play videos on a nano is IpodLinux.

More likely that it just plays the audio from the videos.

The only way to play videos on a nano is IpodLinux.

But that doesn't make sense. Why would it play audio from music videos? That's what downloading songs are for – audio playback. How can you download music videos on a Nano if it doesn't support music videos? Wouldn't you just download songs for audio?

I'm confuzzled... :confused:

But that doesn't make sense. Why would it play audio from music videos? That's what downloading songs are for – audio playback. How can you download music videos on a Nano if it doesn't support music videos? Wouldn't you just download songs for audio?

I'm confuzzled... :confused:
Well, I have the music videos of some songs I do NOT have in any other form.

However, if you can play movies with it using hacks, then clearly the hardware is there, so it doesn't seem impossible to me that Apple's latest update might use it. I have no Nano, so I really have no idea. Only one way to find out: try it out!

The thought behind it is that you buy music videos and watch them in iTunes but you can still _listen_ to them on the iPod nano. It's not intended as a video player (clearly, see resolution and size of screen), but a music video still contains music. This _does_ make sense if you see iTunes not only as a means to transport stuff to your iPod, but also as a media player, which it clearly is. Try it. Take some video and say it is a music video. See what happens when you synch your iPod nano.

The thought behind it is that you buy music videos and watch them in iTunes but you can still _listen_ to them on the iPod nano. It's not intended as a video player (clearly, see resolution and size of screen), but a music video still contains music. This _does_ make sense if you see iTunes not only as a means to transport stuff to your iPod, but also as a media player, which it clearly is. Try it. Take some video and say it is a music video. See what happens when you synch your iPod nano.

Well, that's just silly. If I'm not going to be able to watch the video on my iPod, I wouldn't buy the video; I'd just buy the song.

Well, that's just silly. If I'm not going to be able to watch the video on my iPod, I wouldn't buy the video; I'd just buy the song.

True, but not everyone in the world uses iTunes and their iPods exactly like you.

My friend has a 5.5-Gen iPod Video model, as well as a nano. There are a few music videos that he would like to be able to view on iTunes as well as his video iPod, but would also like to simply listen to the song on his nano.

In my case, there are a few music videos that I'd like to be able to view and listen to through iTunes while I'm at home, and simply listen to the music on my non-video iPods.

Just because it doesn't exactly fit your lifestyle and usage habits doesn't mean it doesn't fit anyone's lifestyle and/or usage habits (i.e., it may seem silly to you, but that's only one person out of millions).

True, but not everyone in the world uses iTunes and their iPods exactly like you.

My friend has a 5.5-Gen iPod Video model, as well as a nano. There are a few music videos that he would like to be able to view on iTunes as well as his video iPod, but would also like to simply listen to the song on his nano.

In my case, there are a few music videos that I'd like to be able to view and listen to through iTunes while I'm at home, and simply listen to the music on my non-video iPods.

Just because it doesn't exactly fit your lifestyle and usage habits doesn't mean it doesn't fit anyone's lifestyle and/or usage habits (i.e., it may seem silly to you, but that's only one person out of millions).

*feigning shocked expression*

Well! That ... is ... riDICulous. EVERYone in the entire world should use their iPod EXACTLY like me! ;)

I have the Fourth generation iPod with color display, and aftter the update to iTunes 7, I too got the Music videos playlist. But I must also say that I love my iPod for the music it is playing, and would rather feel embarrassed of owning a newer one with video capabilities. Just not interested of anything else except audio in my pocket. And audio it does extremely well, even if it's old.

*feigning shocked expression*

Well! That ... is ... riDICulous. EVERYone in the entire world should use their iPod EXACTLY like me! ;)

So from the irony I guess you _do_ see the purpose of the feature now.

So from the irony I guess you _do_ see the purpose of the feature now.

Well ... er ... uh ... no.

But I *am* going to try to download a music video and see what it looks like on my teensy-weensy Nano screen. But only for viewing purposes, not for audio purposes. I have *songs* for that. ;)

You could play the music, extract the music video into frames, then play through a slideshow of the video while listening to the music..

Something tells me that you're actually serious. lol

There are people who have done this. I remember reading about it long before there was a video iPod. It takes a very steady thumb to get the proper framerate, though. :)

If it's possible, geeks will do it.

It'd be like a flip book, with a nano :)

You could match it up pretty well if you had a one second framerate, you could just setup a slideshow..

That would be pretty sweet, though it might take some getting used to watching movies that way.

EDIT: It wouldn't be too hard, see this. I'm seriously going to try this once I get the time..

You could play the music, extract the music video into frames, then play through a slideshow of the video while listening to the music.

And all of that _just_ for watching the video? If you want to watch a music-video that desperately that you put it into frames and watch it as a slideshow... with that music, then two things come up in my head:
1. Why did you buy it in the first place?
2. Watch it on your Mac (or whatever)!

Well ... er ... uh ... no.

But I *am* going to try to download a music video and see what it looks like on my teensy-weensy Nano screen. But only for viewing purposes, not for audio purposes. I have *songs* for that. ;)

You amaze me, sometimes. So you *know* that it won't play video - only sound (unless you install some kind of linux) - but ignore that and will download a music video for exactly the task it _won't_ do? I think you're just here to mess with geeks' minds, sending them into endless loops or something...

You amaze me, sometimes. So you *know* that it won't play video - only sound (unless you install some kind of linux) - but ignore that and will download a music video for exactly the task it _won't_ do? I think you're just here to mess with geeks' minds, sending them into endless loops or something...

::ha::

LMAO!

Who? Lil' ol' me? ::evil::

This was definitely the most funny thing you've ever written. I'm at a public hotspot at the moment, and I literally BURST out laughing when I read it. Thank you for that. :)

Back