logmein.com and MIME error....

heritage

Registered
:(

OK, I'm running a 17" G4 iMac, 768mb memory, and tiger 10.4.4.....

I have been pointed towards a website called logmein.com in order to take control of my in-laws crappy xp pc, 4000 miles away, and it looks like it will do the trick.

I've spoken to an engineer who calls in at my workplace and he uses it everyday from his mac at home, but i cant get in touch with him for several days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have used safari, IE and Firefox, and they all come up with similar errors:

"applet PerfView notloaded"

but it gives me an option to continue, so i do, then im faced with:

"applet RemCtrl notloaded"

anyone got any suggestions??

:(:(:(

heritage said:

OK, I'm running a 17" G4 iMac, 768mb memory, and tiger 10.4.4.....

I have been pointed towards a website called logmein.com in order to take control of my in-laws crappy xp pc, 4000 miles away, and it looks like it will do the trick.

I've spoken to an engineer who calls in at my workplace and he uses it everyday from his mac at home, but i cant get in touch with him for several days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have used safari, IE and Firefox, and they all come up with similar errors:

"applet PerfView notloaded"

but it gives me an option to continue, so i do, then im faced with:

"applet RemCtrl notloaded"

anyone got any suggestions??

:(:(:(

Does not work on OS X at all. It's too bad, but I actually went ahead and installed Virtual PC for this reason alone. Easy-to-configure VPN/VNC/Remote Desktop solutions are still PC only, it seems.

Try your luck installing Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc) -- it's easy to deploy on PCs, a bit harder (command-line interface/terminal stuff) on the Mac but once it is up, VNC/ARD is a snap.

Best,

Erik
Extensive Consulting Group, Inc.
Richmond, VA

blimey....

well, i've been down the vnc route with the in-laws pc for the last month, and it just will NOT connect, but i can log straight into my mums xp pc with no probs at all, albeit that it has to run in 256 color mode, but thats a small price to pay to be able to SHOW her how to do something, rather than explain it in slo-mo!!

just to re-cap with the logmein thing... i have set up an account for her dad, he then logs in and adds his pc, then i log into the logmein site from my mac, and i can see his pc, i click the remote and it all goes to hell.

is there any new clue in that last paragraph i may have missed earlier??

Not at all. The logmein.com thing is based on some weird jscript thing that must be PC-only (at this point). I've set it up on PCs before, and can actually connect just fine while running Virtual PC, but I honestly don't think there is any mac support for the product (whether as a client 'host' or connecting 'server'). Would love to be proven wrong, but I've tried everything.

Erik
Richmond, VA

*cries*

ok, well, how about the vnc option?? i can conect to my mums who's xp pc gives out 86.4.xxx.xx but the in-laws gives out a number starting with 192........... any ideas on that?? i've even got them to turn off their firewall but i still can't get it to connect.

Your in-laws are obviously behind a router giving them private "192.x.x.x" IP addresses. Here's what you can do:

Have your in-laws create an account, and have them REMEMBER their login information. Have them add their computer to their account.

WHen you can VNC into your mum's PC, you can then open her Internet Explorer (or Firefox -- it asks to install a plugin) and login to your in-laws account. You will then be able to see their machine and control it, regardless of whether or not they are behind a router.

Best!

Erik
Richmond, VA

extensivegroup said:
Not at all. The logmein.com thing is based on some weird jscript thing that must be PC-only (at this point). I've set it up on PCs before, and can actually connect just fine while running Virtual PC, but I honestly don't think there is any mac support for the product (whether as a client 'host' or connecting 'server'). Would love to be proven wrong, but I've tried everything.

Erik
Richmond, VA

Just to let you know I used logmein on my old G3 Desktop that was running 10.4.3 it was slow to load but it run. I found that you need to get the most upto date Java from apple and then goto the Java Perfs in the Utilities folder under Java 5.0 and set it so that a web app will use Java 5.0 before 4.x.

Back