Mac OSX simulation on PC?

Nice! Here are some shots of my (not-so-neat) office. :p

Shot 1

workstation-1.jpg

Shot 2

workstation-2.jpg

I presume you're into music production.

You can't actully see it, but that's a very big desk on the right which I use as my workbench. Plus the backdoor is located just beyond the left edge of the picture, which is why I chose this room as my office because it can be closed off from the rest of the appartment/flat so it will be very convenient if I decide to start my own business later on. There's also a lot of cupboards and storage space behind me and to the right.

I set up the workstation like that because I need to keep my feet raised when I'm sitting. I did actually want an airdesk, but they don't sell them here. And eventually, when I can afford it I plan to get a Stressless recliner with a laptop tray for my keyboard. In the meantime I'm using a small table when I have a lot of typing to do.

http://www.airdesks.com/computer_desk.asp

http://www.wharfside.co.uk/stresslessrecliner/admiral.html

My disability and ongoing health condition mean I have to adapt things to my needs. I'd like one for my lounge as well. But I'll probably have to wait until I'm fit enough to go and get a suitable job. :)

Well, the music is something I do on my own as a hobby at the moment....it's my other love. :D I would love to take it beyond that, though, especially considering the way things are in the IT realm. Not that I'm worried about my job within the school system, but the future just keeps looking bleak from what I'm hearing on IT podcasts and websites.

I hadn't noticed the ottoman-like item in front of the chair....nice! :)

As for the rest of my office, you don't want to see it. It's basically the room that everything that doesn't have a place goes into. Thankfully, it's only on one side of the office....for now. :p

Hey, Nixgeek, I just now noticed that you're left handed! That would be nice for me and my erratic cord progressions... haha.

Edit: And I also just noticed that I'm speaking redundantly in the last post... lovely...

I hadn't noticed the ottoman-like item in front of the chair....nice! :)

It's a beanbag cube... comfortable to put my feet up on and light enough to kick out of the way when necessary.

I've also got the patio table, 2 folding chairs and a garden parasol over by the door... I don't like leaving them out in my postage stamp of a garden and my shed is too small to keep them in. LOL :)

I've been looking at graphics programs for macs... not many for intel based yet but i would think by christmas they'll have sorted that one... and how to run windows programs. It seems Wine will can also be used on mac. :)

It would be nice to combine the graphics with my poetry.

Actually, I'm a righty (sorry to let everyone down :p). But I've taught myself to use the mouse left handed. Reason being is that when I lived with my parents and we bought our first Mac (Performa 6220CD), I had an L-desk that fit in a corner like that in the picture (imagine the desk in the picture with a perpendicular piece sticking from the corner against the wall). Unfortunately, I had to put the Kawai (the smaller synth) on the end of the old desk that would be against the wall with the window since the other end had a hutch. This forced me to use the mouse in this manner. Fortunately, it wasn't so bad since the Mac had the one button mouse. After so many years of using it like that, I got quite adept at using the mouse left-handed and I just stuck with it.

The only problem with this setup was when I kept the desk after moving out in 1998 but only had a PC to use. This meant using a two mouse button that wasn't universal. And as you can imagine, not many mouses back then were universal, except for Logitech (although they always had the button with the indent on the right side). I guess this is why I still prefer Logitech mouses to any other. I loved the Microsoft mouses, but they weren't universal either until maybe a year after I moved out. I could be wrong of course. :p

I also got used to playing FPS games this way, since I was more adept at using the arrow keys on the keyboard with my right hand and maneuvering the mouse with my left hand. I have a hard time watching people doing it the other way around. :p

So I guess you can call me an ambidextrous mouser. :D

That doesn't surprise me at all coming from a pianist; I can do most tasks with both hands, but maybe that's coming from martial arts and not left-handed mousing ;).

The original question seems adequately answered, and the thread moved to 'simpler' conversation, eh? and it was 5 years ago, too.... time marches on, doesn't it?

Is there some question that we can help you with?

i know you dont fancy the expense of buying a Mac, but to be fair, i would just buy one of the early Intel Macs - or a good old example of the PPC based ones, one that will run Leopard would be reasonably applicable, there are plenty about, (early OS X) experience can be had on some quite cheaply really, and are quite useable still today.

Marc, check the dates of some of the posts (and not just in this thread). The post started in 2006. Nowadays anyone wondering the same topic would make their choices of hardware with a bit newer models (unless going with the collector/retro old Macs). Anyway, welcome on the boards :)

Back