MacBook Power Supply Problem

Never had such problems. And now with the fan firmware update (SMC), it's much better. Gets less hot overall. I like that.

This is not an uncommon problem. The apple discussion boards are ful of people complaining about their MacBook powering off randomly. I keep meaning to take mine in to get it fixed, but there are great many people reporting that whatever Apple did to "fix" the problem didn't work, or caused other side effects. As long as my machine doesn't power off more frequently that it is now, I'm going to hold off and give Apple enough time to have a reliable fix. (Right now they pretty much just replace a butt-load of parts. ie : logic board, power supply, top bezel, etc...)

Identical problems here (Holland). My Macbook Pro just turns off in a second, randomly. I own it two months now, and for the last two weeks the problem exists. My dealer has now ordered a new Logicboard, but reading the forum I presume this wont fix it. Shit.

I'm experiencing the same problem, also after installing the SMC Firmware update, on a white 2Ghz. It cannot be due to overheating, because it useually happens just after it wakes up, when it is cold, something my hands are able to verify.

I also have to try several times to get it back on. I found that pressing the power button until the small white light on the lower right corner of the computer starts blinking helps. When I release the button it beeps (like a PC BIOS being reset) and starts fine, and does not power off for a random amount of time, useually days. I guess the low frequency makes it hard for Apple to reproduce the problem. However it sucks big time. I've yet to experience serious data loss, but if I start using the Macbook for something important (still have my trusted PC for that) I guess it's just a matter of time with the current behavior.

I have had the same issue and Apple has been working on a power supply repair for over three weeks. Seems they have a problem acquiring adequate parts which makes it seem my problem (and yours) is not unique.

I recommended the MacBook to someone else and they too have had to have the power supply replaced.

I'm having the same problem with my white 2Ghz MacBook shutting down suddenly and randomly, whether on battery power or plugged in. Being hot has nothing to do with it. Sometimes it happens right after I turn it on. There's no rhyme no reason to when it suddenly shuts off. It started doing this a week ago and it seems to be shutting down more frequently as time goes on. Purchased it new when the MacBooks were first released a few months ago. Am taking it to one of the Apples "geniuses" today.

Sounds like a bad logic board. You should consider getting AppleCare, if you were not covered by the 1 year complimentary warranty, such a repair could easily be $800

I'm likewise having a snap-off problem. Tried resetting the PMU, didn't help.

Here's the current theory I'm testing: Something in the ac-in board overheats and either shuts down for safety or expands past where it makes contact.

Why? Any time the ac is plugged in, current still flows to the ac-in board, whether the computer is powered on or not (witness the pretty green led on the plug). Turning the MB on first thing in the morning it still exhibits snap-off. It also has a very warm base in the corner near the ac-in (first thing in the morning!).

I'm currently running it with battery-only with a cooling pad under - so far, so good (but then the problem is intermittent, so....).

Next step is leave it unplugged over night, plug it back in, and see what happens....

Apple has released the MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.1, which is intended to resolve a widely reported issue where MacBooks suddenly shut down during normal operation. According to Apple, the update "improves the MacBook's internal monitoring system." It is recommended for all MacBooks, even those that have already undergone warranty repairs for the sudden shutdown issue.

I installed the firmware update mid day yesterday. No snap-off so far so I'm shelving my grabbing at straws, er, theorizing. :cool:

I think it will cure your problem if you will download from the Apple site the firmware update MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.1. I had the same problem and it has been solved with this update.

Back