Missing Finder Preferences and Empty Trash in Leopard?

Spiral Girl

Registered
Hello,

I've been having a few problems with Leopard. The first problem is that I can no longer eject external drives or disk images. (I've tried relaunch finder dumping finder.plists and sidebarlists.plists, resetting PRAM, dumping various plists reinstalling the combo update etc. and nothing works).

Secondly I don't see disks on my desktop when I insert them and I have CD's and DVD's set to open finder for blank disks.

I have no preferences option under finder. When I click the Finder tab there is no preferences listed there. It just has: About Finder, Secure Empty Trash faded out, Services, Hide Finder, Hide Others, Show All (faded out).

I realize I'm also missing the Empty Trash along with the Preferences.

How do I get this back?

I got it solved thanks to DeltaMac. I just opened Onyx and went to OnyX/Parameters/Finder
put a check in the box next to Show Preferences item and also Show Empty Trash item and logged out and back in again and both things show up now. :)

If only I could solve the problem of not being able to eject disk images or external disks from the desktop.

S.

Last edited:
Well if you restart the Finder by holding down the 'option' key and then click on the Dock Finder icon. The it will show you a "ReLaunch" command, select it.

Also you could add the Eject icon to you menu bar. Go to the desktop, find your harddrive icon, double click, then find and double click 'System', then 'Library', then 'CoreServices' and then 'Menu Extras'. Inside you will find an item called Eject.menu, click on it.

Satcomer,

Thanks, I had tried all those things but only adding these option through Onyx worked for me. Also solved the eject disk image problem as well. Open up Onyx and go to OnyX/Parameters/Finder
put a check in the box next to Show Eject item and whatever else you want. You have to do them each individually though and wait for the prompt. Then item log out and back in again and everything should be back to normal.

S.

Thanks for the quick response!

I tried to download OnyX but it seems all of the distributions for Snow Leopard are corrupt disk images :(

I've tried several other suggestions to fix this but no luck. I have an appointment with a "Genius" at the Mac Store today anyway so I'll ask them.

I did try logging in as another admin user on my system and sure enough... that user has an "Empty Trash" option. Unfortunately the main account I use is missing this. Only Secure Empty is available and that takes literally days to empty the trash :(

Any other suggestions?

Alex

Thanks for your replied guys.

I had 3 "geniuses" stumped at the Apple store today - the 4th guy finally fixed it.

Simply go to Finder->Preferences->Advanced

There's a check box that says "Empty Trash Securely". Little did I know that checking this would completely remove the non-secure option from all menus!

Excellent additional news. Buying that Apple Care plan has paid off - they're going to replace my entire MBP screen because of several 'stuck' pixels. Woo Hoo! It was damaged also from the stupid keyboard design that scratches the screen when you close it, so that also gets fixed as a consequence. I'll be taking more care with the next one!

Back