One more question..

Cnu182

Registered
I have a few applications such as ms office and toast. Upon trying to install either of the two, for instance in office--using the installer, i double click the installer, see it go to the dock and bounce around, then it just goes away. Same scenario with Toast.

This is the second macbook i have this problem with. I tried running cocktail and repair the file permissions to no avail.

As always, thanks in advance.

Remember that your MacBook is Intel based, not PowerPC based like those before it. If I remember correctly, Office for the Mac (the latest one anyways) is still PPC based so that will use Rosetta (the PowerPC emulation layer, to put it simply) to run the installer and the application itself. For Toast, you might want to see about a Univeral Binary (a binary that runs natively on PPC and Intel Macs) for your version of Toast, otherwise you'll have to purchase the latest version that would support the Intel Macs as well.

Also, make sure you install all of your updates from Software Update. I don't know if your MacBook already has it applied (since it was recently released), but there was a firmware update for the Intel Macs that was made available earlier in the year.

Yeah, but the strange thing is, I had both applications working on my previous macbook. Not much difference. Im not sure about the firmware update, I tend to always just use the software update in the upper left corner..is that the same thing?

I believe the firmware update will show up there (can't say for sure since I don't have one....yet ;)).

As for why it worked on one MacBook and not the other, I'm not quite sure unfortunately.... :confused:

I am not on an intel Mac either. In office, you can also drag the one icon from the install CD directly to you Hard Drive. I am not sure about Toast.
Nixgeek is right, check your system for updates, etc. I think MS even has a download for better performance on Intel Macs.

This has nothing to do with firmware updates or intel/universal binaries, rosetta etc. Both apps run fine for me, installers simply worked, so we have to find a different culprit. If it's a fresh install on that MB (MBP?), you might want to simply reinstall OS X from the ground up and try again.

Btw. "one more question" is possibly the worst thread title I've read in the past few months. And I've read many a bad thread title. :/

Back